Short story (teaser) Caleb and Willow head for Safety

I sat on the edge of a metal framed bed; it had clearly seen better days. She glanced across the room and noticed disused equipment stored in the corner of the room. The smell of stale bleach lingered in the area. I felt cold as a chilly breeze grazed against my semi naked legs. “A mortuary?”I said looking at a worried Caleb “I don’t know where else to take you where you will be safe” he said whilst securing one of the damaged metal shutters on a window. “We need to talk” I said. “Let me sort this out” “we need to talk now!” I screamed by voice meeting me again via echo. Caleb turned and started to walk towards me. “I know this isn’t how we imagined our life would be but I promise you once the war is over we can move on from this all” he pushed my hair back gently pulling my head towards his chest “if I have to keep you here for an eternity to keep you away from those vultures I will. If it means we have to spend out life here just so we can be together it’s the sacrifice I will make” Caleb said whilst holding me tightly.

I wasn’t sure when would be a good time to approach the subject of my news but now seemed like the least likely time to discuss anything but pure survival. “How many have fallen already?” “Too many”. “one is more than enough, but to lose 200” he shook his head. His face became pale, with red flushes gracing his cheeks. He rolled up his sleeve and noticed the bleeding had started again “looks like I need to change the bandage” he said pulling the bandage to tighten its grip on his arm. I touched the wound “don’t the blood could be infected” hearing that didn’t scare me. I wanted to make the blood stop, I wanted to fix him. A year ago we were in Fiji getting married, and now we are in a disused mortuary as this was the only place Dylan’s Coven was unlikely to look for us.

“Can’t we just give them what they want?” I asked whilst applying all my force on the wound to stop the blood front trickling down his toned arms. “I could give them the head of the Coven seat but it’s never going to be enough” he said whilst we changed his bandage. He looked at me “do you regret marrying me?” I carried on changing the bandage. “Willow” he whispered pulling me closer to his body. “There, done!” I said fastening the bandaging hoping his Werewolf healing genes would come into play and stop the bleeding before another Werewolf detected their location. “Why won’t you answer me?” Caleb asked me turning my face to align his. “Look me in the eye and answer the question, please Willow” he said longingly. “I could never regret what we have” “that wasn’t the question” Caleb snapped. “What do you want me to say?” “Tell me you still feel the same, you still feel the fire to fight whatever comes our way. I can’t leave you here alone unless I know you can fight for us”. I cupped his face with my hands with a tear streaming down my left cheek; I wasn’t crying because I couldn’t tell him what he wanted to hear.

 I was mourning the fact I knew something that I couldn’t tell him in case of the danger it put him in. He was going back to join his Coven in this war against other Covens for power and to stop the inevitable; the birth of a Werewolf that will control not only the Covens but the mortal world. A force that won’t need protection, or Guiders, he will be all seeing. This force was on its way. Truth was his Father is unaware of his presence in me as he left to join his family in a fight that would cost us more than we ever thought it could...

...more to follow.