Olivia Carson

Olivia is 25 years old. She works at San Jose's St. Bonaventure Hospital as their Top Surgeon. She doesn't have many friends but gets along well with her co-workers. Her only friend at St. Bonaventure is Shaun Murphy who is a surgical resident with autism. She sees Shaun as a little brother and continues to stay in contact with him even after resigning as head Surgeon before joining the FBI. Olivia is athletic, quiet, intelligent, and extremely cautious. Similar to her friend Shaun, Olivia has Savant Syndrome. Savant syndrome is a rare condition in which someone with significant mental disabilities demonstrates certain abilities far in excess of average. The skills that savants excel at are generally related to memory. This may include rapid calculation, artistic ability, map making, or musical ability. Those with the condition typically have a neurodevelopmental disorder such as autism spectrum disorder or a brain injury.

In Olivia's case, she was diagnosed with the syndrome due to a brain injury she experienced in her childhood. Olivia also has an eidetic memory, an IQ of 190, and 2 PhDs to go with her surgical license. Olivia likes reading, learning about disorders, surgical practices, and medical theories, and spending time with Shaun. Olivia has a twin sister who passed away on their 9th birthday and a father who raised her on his own after her mother left. Olivia calls her father daily and visits him with Shaun when she isn't busy. Due to Olivia's closed-off personality, Her only friends are Aaron Hotchner, Haley Hotchner/Haley Brooks, and Shaun Murphy. Since she is extremely close with Shaun, her emergency contacts and immediate families are Shaun and her Father. Olivia is also the godmother of Hotch's son, Jack. Lastly, Olivia always wears long sleeves and has a gun license. She keeps a revolver on her when she isn't at work and carries a bag full of medical/surgical supplies no matter what. She can be paranoid but she's learned to hide it well.