1/2

"Nori..."

He caught himself before he could finish.

"Kakyoin?"

At the mention of the name, the man looked up from the papers he had been concentrated on filling out. For a moment, his face visibly softened at the recognition of the other man before him, although it quickly changed back to his usual professional tone. "Kujo, it's been a while," came the neutral reply.

"Ah, yeah, I was surprised to find you here. I mean, I was even more surprised to find out you're the head of the department. Not that I would expect any less, but, you know," Jotaro said awkwardly, surprised at how uneasy he felt around his old friend.

"To be quite honest, I'm probably just as surprised to  see the person I was assigned to show around was you, of all people in this city." Although his voice was light, Jotaro could sense the tightness in his tone.

"Of all the people in this city," Jotaro repeated, musing over the idea of it. He wasn't usually the type to believe in any kind of forces of the universe, like karma or good luck, but perhaps some things did happen for a reason. At that point, the universe must have been leaving it up to him to get things going again.

"Well, it's getting pretty late and I assume your shift is just about over with, how about we catch up over a few drinks? The place I'm staying at is pretty high-end and has a lounge. I'll treat you to it, of course."

After what seemed like a brief moment of hesitation, Kakyoin nodded his head slowly. "It's the end of the work week, I don't see why not."

Jotaro couldn't help but crack a smile.

-

"But honestly Jotaro, as much as I appreciate you for everything we've been through, everything you've done for me, it's just been so long. We were young back then, we don't have anything in common anymore. Perhaps we never did after that time in Egypt."

A familiar feeling of defeat creeped its way into Jotaro's chest, but he couldn't give up as he gripped the glass between his fingers a little tighter.

"Four..."

"What do you mean?"

"The number of moles on your back, something about you that only I know."

Kakyoin didn't turn to look at him, continuing to stare down into the golden brown color of his drink.

"Perhaps there aren't four anymore."

With that, Jotaro averted his gaze, the disappointment of the answers implications setting in. As if oblivious to the weight of his words, Kakyoin quickly finished what remained of his drink, rolling the empty glass between his fingers.

"Want to count them again? My moles, I mean?"

Surprised, Jotaro watched as Kakyoin indicated to a nearby bartender to refill his glass, looking back at Jotaro with hot eyes as he took another drink from it.

A soft smile made its way onto Jotaro's face as he reached into his coat pocket to retrieve a payment for the drinks and his room key.

"Of course."