CHAPTER EIGHT . FEELINGS DIE

"Amor Vincit Omnia"
love conquers all

"Amor Vincit Omnia"love conquers all

a.n : the smut is skippable. please look for the dividers that indicate the start and end of the smut part.

TO HIM, YOU looked like an artistic masterpiece sprawled beneath him. Red flushed your nose and cheeks, reaching the tips of your ears. Your eyes resembled wet jewels in the dim candlelight. Momentarily, he went silent to take in the sight beneath him, committing it to memory. His right hand gently brushed against your left arm, trailing up to your hand and laced his fingers with yours. His movements were precise, articulate, and motivated.

"I'm right here... I'll be here in the morning." Childe muttered softly, lowering his head to press his forehead against yours.

"Why me...?"

Your voice was hoarse, thick with a sob that threatened to spill over like an overfilled sink. Childe noted how tightly your fingers were laced with his— a thought crossed his mind.

"Because you're the only Harbinger who understands the struggles of keeping family safe. You possess moral qualities unlike the rest of us." His reply was simple enough but there was something deeper, something more sentimental. He took a pause, eyes scanning over your features before speaking up once more.

"What are you so afraid of?" Childe awaited your response with stoicism, noting how you blatantly avoided eye contact.

"I'm... not afraid." You breathed out, taking in a sharp inhale. It was a white lie, he knew you well enough to tell. A sigh escaped his lips before unlacing his fingers with you though notably, you lingered by tightening your fingers around his.

"Don't bother with lies. I can read you with ease." Childe chastised, his brows furrowing.

A thin frown spread across your lips as you attempted to come up with some sort of lame excuse but nothing came to mind. You pursed your lips together before finally replying.

"I'm scared that you'll let go."

Azure eyes widened at your words but before he could utter another word— a string of your most deeply rooted fears came spilling forth past your lips.

"I'm scared you'll leave me... I'm scared I'll lose you— just like how I lost them..." A great tremor overtook you as you swallowed the growing lump in your throat. Caught by your own emotions, you began to feel the weight of the world against your body. It pressed against you, applying pressure against your lungs until you swore you couldn't breath no more.

You continued, "I'm weak, pathetic, a joke of a Harbinger... I'm not deserving of anything..."

Gut-wrenching sobs ripped through your chest as you held back the floodgate of emotions. The tightening of your throat caused your body to tremble as transparent tears trickled down your cheeks. Your voice cracked under the pressure, stuttering in a fault of emotions.