Chapter 1

I gingerly walked up to the door holding my basket of candy close.  A feeling of uneasiness washed over me as I glanced behind me at the car waiting for my return, my parents inside paying no attention to my doings.  It was now or never.  I knocked on the door and waited for an answer.  I could hear the shuffling of feet before the door swung open with a CRACK against the wall and a gnarled man glared at me.  I wanted to shrink inside myself and disappear from his gaze but he just continued to glare at me as my heartbeat began to quicken.  

“What do you want?” he shot out with a grunt.

“Um….” I stuttered “Trick or Treat?” I shuddered a little and held my bucket up in front of me with both hands hoping he would think I was shaking from the temperature.  He looked at me for a couple seconds before grasping my wrist and yanking me inside.  I dropped the bucket and began to pry his disfigured hand from my wrist.  He held onto my wrist tighter still and I chanced a glance behind me wishing to see my parents rushing towards me but I saw nothing but darkness.

~*~

When I awoke I noticed my world was literally upside down.  I closed my eyes hoping it was a dream but when I opened them, nothing changed.  I looked around as best I could and noticed more people like me hanging all around the room but they didn’t seem to be breathing.  I stifled a scream in fear of the man hearing me.  I noticed a small butcher’s knife sticking out from one of the bodies near me and began to try and swing towards it.  I swung back and forth for what seemed like hours, inching closer and closer before finally grasping the handle and yanking it out.  I heard a low grunt and tried to hide the knife under my clothes before noticing the door open.  I slammed my eyes shut and try to pretend that I was still knocked out.  I could feel the man getting closer and I heard a small thud with a splash.  Risking being caught I opened my eye just enough to see and could see him dragging the upper body of a girl my age behind him and out the door.  I began to cry and realized that I may not survive through the night.