'Its not your fault'

The halls were noisy and crowded, people sprinting from class to their lockers or trotting along beside their friends. The usual.
“Yo! Wayne!” I turned my head towards the voice. A smile crept up my face as I saw the owner of the voice. He rushed over to my side, swerving between people against the hordes of students trying to escape their prison.
“What are you looking so serious for? Come on, let's get out of here.” He cheered, bounding with energy, ecstatic at the idea of leaving after a long day of boredom and tasteless people.
“Same reason as always. My parents want me to study more.” Annoyance laced my words, I wasn’t pleased at this ‘oh so surprising news’. “What!? Why?? You’re like, a genius. One hundred on every test and everything.” It was ironic how someone the literal definition of a jock could be so transparent.
“Yea, I keep asking the same thing. I tutor, I take extra classes, I have extra credit on top of one hundred in every class. What more could they want?” I complained while trailing behind my friend. His tall stature provided some much needed shade against the beating sun.
“Jesus, it’s hot as balls out.” He sighed. His brunette fluffy hair sticking to his forehead and the back of his neck, drenched in sweat. “Well that's what you get for wearing a long sleeved jacket.” I teased him with sarcasm and a smirk, but he just awkwardly laughed. Strange.
“We're here!” Walking out from behind him, I peered up. I was met with a giant neon sign reading ‘Frank’s Joint’. “Is this place for junkies?”
“What?,” He gazed up at the sign and laughed, “No no no. It's the new diner I told you about. They’ve got great stuff, I'm telling you!” Simply shrugging at the statement, I followed him in.
A pretty teenage waiter scuffed over to us as we entered, she wore a short red skirt and a white tank top with a tag that said ‘Camella’. Would you guys like to sit at the front counter or in a booth?”
I just looked over to my taller counterpart, letting him choose. “The counter please.” “Right this way!” “You’re quite beautiful.” He said out of nowhere. I snickered.  Is he a casanova now?
A blush spread across her face in record time as well as a shy smile, “Thank you! I-I’ll be right back with some menus.”
“A ladies man now? Cliche much?” I enquired smugly, but my sarcasm seemed to have no effect, seeing as I only got an earnest response. “No, sometimes it's just good to say kind things. It can make someone's day all the better.”
My face was flat and unimpressed, but I couldn’t help a small smile. “Cringe” I fake gagged and made a disgusted expression. “Fuck off” He chuckled, pushing my face, causing me to fall off the stool. “Oops, sorry.”
I just flipped him off “Fuck you too, Hercules.” He just pulled me back up by my shirt. I feel like a tote bag.
“You know, all that sarcasm and being a smartass is the reason you don’t have friends, Wayne.” “Pft-”, I almost fell off the stool again at the statement, shaking with laughter. “Man, screw them.  If they don’t like me, too bad. They’re opinions of me don’t mean shit. After all, I’ve got you. I'm happy with that.”
I swear, his jaw was hitting the floor. “You? Being nice? The world must be ending!” “Don’t push it.”
Then the pretty waiter arrived back, she handed us both menus and told us the specials, but I wasn’t listening.  I was paying more attention to the people staring at me, or us, I wasn’t sure. Once the waiter walked away, I pointed over to the booth in the corner with my thumb while scanning over the menu. “Do you know them?” He brought his head up and glanced over, “Oh, yea. They’re some of the other students on sports teams. Cheerleaders and whatnot. They’re asses, but they always try to talk to me.”
I just chuckled, “Wow, you’re the definition of those movie jocks. Popular, good looking, good at sports, all the girls want to date you. Well, all that except you’re nice.” “Yea and you’re the definition of those sarcastic nerds with no friends.” “Touche.”

“Are you guys ready to order?” The pretty waiter was back, a slight blush still brushing her face. “Yea, we are, thank you. I'll have the double burger with a large side of fries. Wayne?” “Chicken strips.” She continued to stare at me with a dumb expression, probably waiting for me to say something else before putting on her smile back on. “I’ll have your orders in a few minutes.”
“Ey, I’ll be right back. Gotta use the restroom.” I gave him a thumbs up and took out my phone.
“Hey” I kept my head down, reading an ebook. “Hey. I'm talking to you.” Honestly, I already know it was one of those ‘friends’, I’d rather stay out of conflict. But it appears that he wasn’t going anywhere until he got a response.
“Do you need something?” I asked with a bored look. He was another tall white dude, buff-ish, short and straight black hair. Basic. “Watch your tone, Shortstack. Was just wondering if we could have a ‘chat’ outside.” He gave a crooked grin. I glanced over to the table where he came from, the preppy girls were all snickering while the guys sat with amused looks.
“Why? So you can beat me up? No thanks, I'm good.” I said politely, knowing it would get under his skin. “I said a chat. I ain't gonna do anything.” He seethed through grit teeth.
“I’m good. Thanks for the offer.” I went back to my phone and began to read again. I think he was about to grab me, but just to my luck, my actual, real, good friend was coming back. The guy beside me noticed too. Grumbling something before walking back where he came from.
“Yo. I'm back. What’d I miss?” I peered back over to where they’d been, but they were already gone. “...Nothing. Just reading.” “Nice. Nice. Oh, food’s here!”
Then a giant plate of chicken strips was placed in front of me and the biggest burger I've ever seen in my life was placed beside me. “Holy crap. These are super sized foods.”
“Told you this place was great!”
“Yea, you’re right. This stuff is delicious.”
“Ha! Told ya!”