✯𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐒 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐑𝐄✯

Like a sweet tooth craving candy
I have such a longing I can hardly stand it.

⎯𝐻𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓉'𝓈 𝒟𝑒𝓈𝒾𝓇𝑒

The fault in our stars, Wave, If I stay, A monster calls, Being Mortal, The Long way home, The Inferno

Each book paints a poignant picture of dying, and some even touch on the afterlife. Yet, despite all the reading, no one is ever truly prepared for it.

All the books have depicted dying as a sensation that, although happens quickly, still feels like hours passing before you let out your last breath. The thoughts you have all center around the people you love, the people you could have loved, and the ones you loved too much but still let go. The sorries that went unspoken, and the memories made with the people who had no problem royally pissing you off but always managed to bring a smile to your face.

Aubrielle could feel a sense of numbness taking over her body as she slowly but surely died. Like the books she read, each one did contain a sliver of truth. She did think of the people she loved and the boy she never had the courage to confess her feelings to. But most of all, the books were wrong too.

Maybe it was for the drama or the sense of angst an author decides they want to give the reader by drawing out a character's death, but for Aubrielle...her death was swift. Painful and swift.

She never gasped for breath, nor did she shed any tears. It was as if she couldn't cry, she didn't have the energy to. She used all her remaining strength to stay focused on the star-lit sky above her. As she did, she wondered distantly if soon she'd be up there too, becoming a star herself. She imagined strangers around the world looking up and admiring the beauty she had become.

As the EMTs rushed towards her and began their frantic efforts to save her, Aubrielle managed a small, serene smile. She realized that her ending was far more peaceful than any of those books had ever described. Her final moments were not filled with regret or anguish but with a quiet acceptance and a hopeful gaze at the stars above, knowing she would soon be part of their eternal glow.