Chapter 4

Monday mornings are no one's favourite but this morning was worse for Sarah. She had all sort of bad luck since she got out of bed and now reaching at work she wasn't glad either, she felt like everyone is looking at her and talking about her night out with Lucas, "oh! My God, has he told everyone what happened?" she thought to herself while moving very fast to her cube. Reaching her cube, she wished the cube had full walls and a door so she could barricade herself in until working hours were over. Putting her things properly so she could start digging into the work load she found on her desk, Sarah's thought had shifted to her co-worker who had to report back few weeks ago and she hadn't till then and the amount of work she was doing she deserved a raise if no one was to be hired to replace the partner.

"Hey! Cupcake, when did you come in?" Joan asked leaning on the entrance of Sarah's cube

"You startled me!" Sarah complained, "I came in like five minutes ago, you?"

"Came earlier; Guess what! My neighbor Rose has a car now; the boyfriend bought it for her so I got a ride here."

"That's nice, good for her. You should get one for yourself too."

"Good? No way, tell that to the guy paying the rent, that girl will screw anything that makes her life easy. Me, not so much I rather work my limbs off than selling myself for a car."

"I didn't say you should sell yourself for a car, I meant you need to buy one on your own, you can do that."

"And you can't?"

"I don't have that kind of money to buy a car; I'm a beneficiary to my family since my brother decided he can't support mom and dad anymore but he can take his wife and his family to expensive getaways."

Before Joan could say anything there was a tap no Sarah's entrance and they both turned to see who it was.

"Hi! Ladies." Mariam greeted them.

"Wow! Mariam! Come in, how are you? Good to see you back." Sarah stood and greeted her

"Hey! Welcome back." Joan greeted with less enthusiasm, she and Mariam had not really been good friends, and Mariam was a bitch to her from day one and Joan never forget people who make her life worse even if she won't show it on her face.  "So, how was the long vacation? Two month was it?" Joan asked, before Mariam could answer, Joan got up, "I think I should let you two catch up. See you later Sarah." And with that she brushed her way past Mariam and left.

"I hope I didn't interrupt anything?" Mariam asked with concern on the way Joan left.

"No! You didn't, she was about to leave anyway. Please have a sit." Sarah replied pulling a chair and offering it to Mariam.

They sat for almost three hours explaining all the works that had been ongoing since she left and what part she will be taking now that she is back, the discussion was intense they skipped tea break and by the time they decided to put a stop it was almost time for lunch. The desk phone rang and Sarah picked, it was from the head of department and he was informing them that right after lunch there was a meeting with some new investors and both of them were supposed to attend.  When he hanged up Sarah informed Mariam about the meeting, they decided they will end there for today. Mariam got up and left. Sarah turned to her desk to get on with her pile of work which even though she wanted to give half of it to Mariam the work load would have even increase because there was so much to explain, so she brushed of the idea and begun digging to her work.

There was a tap on her entrance and she thought it was Joan, "sweetheart! I'm not going out for lunch I have to at least reduce this paper work and I have a meeting in few minutes to come." Sarah answered the tap without looking