Prologue

Prologue

"Mason!" Jadyn called throughout the house.

It was late, around 6:00. Jadyn had to stay after school to prep for the play.

The sound of sobbing drifted through the house, getting picked up by Jadyn's ears. The girls small feet tiptoed up the stairs, pausing outside of her parents door.

"Mum?" Jadyn said quietly, nudging the door open.
"Mum, are you alright?" She whispered.

Jillian Moore looked up at her daughter, eyes filled with horror and sadness.

Looking at Jadyn made Jillian cry even more. Jadyn and her son Mason looked almost identical.

"Mum? Mum what's going on? Where's dad? And where's Mason?"

At the mention of her sons name Jillian cried out in pain. Not the physical kind, the emotional kind.

"Mason is dead!" Jillian sobbed, throwing herself into her pillow.

15 year old Jadyn stood in the doorway, in absolute agony over her mothers words.

Jadyn felt wetness slip down her cheeks.

This couldn't be happening to Jadyn Moore.

Jadyn Moore was the smart, funny, popular, athletic, fun loving girl of her town. Everyone knew her as the optimistic, nice girl that she is.

That she was.

On that day, something changed, snapped, broke inside of her.

She was no longer the amazing girl she was known as.

She was merely a more, mature, version of that girl. A shell of that girl.

She was a girl who had to face the reality of the harsh world around her. She was the girl who knew how the world worked now.

She knew that the world was a scary place, and that reality was a scary thing, and that fate was an even scarier thing.

Jadyn went to school the next day, and acted as if everything was fine. She didn't react normally.

She acted as if she was fine.

She hoped that if everyone else believed her lies, maybe they would start to become the truth.

She decided she needed to keep up with her image.

So, when her parents lost it, and made her move to Italy, she told her peers they had gotten a promotion.

And that's what they believed for awhile.

And then they found out...

And then Jadyn returned...