She's Back

Chapter 1

I frowned as we pulled up to a new house. I've seen this house before. I've walked past it thousands of times during my childhood.

"Why couldn't we go back to our old house?" I grumbled.
"The same reason we left it."

I frowned.

"Why did it have to be next door to Liam? Why couldn't you pick some other house?" I asked.
"Shut up Jadyn." my father rumbled.

I threw my door open and stepped out taking a few minutes to look around. Nothing has changed. The front door nextdoor opened and I cringed.

I wasn't ready to see Liam.

"Oh Jillian! Tom! I'm so glad you're back in town!" Karen cooed, coming out of her home to greet my parents.

She looked at me and held her arms out.

"Oh Jadyn! You've grown up so much!" Karen said, holding my two hands.
"Always nice to see you Mrs. Payne."
"Oh darling, you know you don't--"

"Mum?"

I looked back to the front door. Standing in the doorway was Liam Payne.

He looked different. He looked older. Well, he was older.

Liam had always been attractive. I've always loved his smile, his big brown eyes, his laugh, everything.

When I left, he had curly hair, and sad eyes.

But now, he's grown up, and he looks... happy.

"Liam! Come say hi to the Moore's!" Karen called.

Liam looked at me, almost bitterly before walking over.

"Hello Jadyn." he said coldly, giving me a glare.
"Hey Liam." I whispered.

Liam said hi to my parents and I walked inside.

My room was already furnished. It had chocolate brown walls, a Rolling Stones poster, white bedding, some furniture and a small balcony.

I decided some unpacking would do me good.

-
-
-

"Jadyn! Get down here, we're going next door for dinner!" My mum called. I looked out my window and saw Liam walking around his room. Another boy was in there too.

I looked closer and recognized him as Zayn Malik. The three of us have known each other since primary. I started to wonder if Liam was still friends with Niall Horan, Harry Styles, and Louis Tomlinson. When I left the five of them were best friends.

"Now!" Dad yelled.

I mumbled a "fuck you." and left my room.

My relationship with my parents had been rocky for the past two years. They've become distant after Mason's... passing.

Mom found her getaway in a pill bottle, and dad found his at the bottom of a bottle.

I found mine in running away from the problem.

I walked down the stairs angrily.

My parents stood in front of the door, watching me.

"You will not embarrass me." I warned.

My dad opened his mouth to speak but I stopped him.

"If either of you even think about touching a glass of wine I will call child services again. I don't care how much you think you've changed, or how sad you are, you touch that wine bottle and you're done." I said.

My parents gulped in fear, knowing that I wasn't kidding. They nodded obediently.

In the past two years, I've become the parent basically.

"Let's go, Karen's waiting."

I walked past them and opened the front door, allowing them to follow. We walked next door silently, my parents not having the courage to speak up.

My knuckles hit the door. I ripped my hand away from the wood when I realized I did Liam and I's special knock.

One knock, a rap of your knuckles, and two more knocks.

Luckily, Karen opened the door.

"Hello dear!"
"Hi Karen."

"Liam and Zayn are upstairs, you can head on up." She said.
"Oh no, I don't think I should go up there." I said nervously.
"Oh nonsense! Go!" she said, giving me a push towards the staircase.

I reluctantly walked up the stairs, looking back at Karen the whole way up.

I turned the corner once I made it to the top. My memory took over and I stopped right in front of Liam's door.

My teeth took ahold of my bottom lip. I decided that I was safer out in the hall. My back slid down the wall, and I landed on my bum quietly.

I couldn't force myself to knock on that door and face Liam.

"Alright! I'll seeya later mate." Zayn said, his voice muffled from behind the door.

I quickly got up and tried to make it to the bathroom door.

"Jadyn? Is that you?"

So close.

I took a step back into the hallway and forced a smile.

"Yep. I'm back in town. Right next door actually." I said.
"Really?"
"Mhmm."
"The boys and I will have to stop by sometime." he said with a smile.

Did everyone in town mature amazingly? Why did I miss that big change?

"Yeah, of course. Em and Lonny will have to come too." I said and Zayn smiled at that.
"Yeah, I'll tell Liam to set it up with you."
"Sounds great." I nodded.

Zayn smiled at me, taking a close look at my face.

"Well, it was great to see you Jay."
"Yeah, you too DJ Malik." I said smirking at the old nickname we gave him.

He smiled at the nickname, before walking back downstairs.

I smiled to myself. Maybe this won't be so hard after all.

"What are you even doing here Jadyn?"