Computerized Football?

Outside of Hathaway High School walls, three boys stood arguing on the field. A tall blonde named Gage asked Jase and Jonathan, two brothers, if they'd play football. Jase coughed at this.

"Aren't you afraid that I'm gonna whoop your butt again Gage?"

"Nah. I got Jonathan." He said. "But thanks for being so concerned.

Jase became offended. "How come you get Jonathan? He's my brother."

"He's my friend."

"Jonny, in case you decide to change sides, you just let me know ok?"

Jase babied his brother even though John was older than him. Jonathan had dislexia but that never held him back. He worked hard in and out of the classroom. He wasn't your average jock. A lot of people treated him like a child because of his disability, but he did his best to make it clear it was neither appreciated nor necessary.

"Yes, mom." Jonny called in a baby voice.

"Hey. Did you guys hear about that new girl that's coming today?" Jase inquired as they threw the ball back and forth.

"Yeah." said Gage. "I don't know why she didn't wait until Monday. God knows I would've."

When Gage threw the ball to Johnny, he didn't realize that the new girl was right there. She was lightning fast and could barely be seen. Jonny ran after the ball, not yet paying attention to the girl that was already chasing after it. It was nearly in his grasp, but the she beat him to the punch. Jonny ended up falling into her, taking her down with him. The two crashed to the ground.

"What is your problem?" 

"I think I could ask you the same thing." With a hand to his head, Jonny didn't pay much attention as to who he was talking to.

After shaking the pain off, the two looked up into each other's glittering eyes. They stayed locked there for a while until Jonny could swear he saw the girl's eyes glitching. Yes, glitching. They reminded him of an unplugged computer screen that was about ready to shut off. She then blinked and returned normal. Jonny had to blink a couple times himself before dismissing the thought completely. Jonny caught sight of the boys watching from the other side of the field. He noticed them whispering.

----------

"What is happening between them?" Jase thought he noticed a sort of curiosity appear on his brother's face.

"I'm not sure. Was that a spark I saw?"

"I think so."

"No, I mean a real spark."

"With what? Their eyes locked on each other? You're seeing things, dude!"

"Maybe, but did you see her run?"

"See her? I could barely keep my eyes on her."

"Is it possible for someone to run that fast."

"I mean, I never thought so, but it happened."

"Man, I gotta work out more."

----------

"Um... So, what's your name?" 

"Astrid."

"That's a pretty cool name!" 

"Thanks, my... uh... dad picked it."

"Well, I'm Jonathan. In case you were wondering."

"Oh. Um, okay. Well, I've gotta get to class... Jonathan." With that, the girl jumped up from the ground and took off. Jonny looked at the ground with a puzzled expression before a curious smile spread across his face. 

"Astrid. This will be interesting."