Chapter 5

Amer

The Mughal troupe had left along with Jodha. The Royal family kept looking at the troupe with teary eyes. Once the troupe went out of sight, the family retired to their rooms praying for their daughter's happy life.

Enroute to Agra

After travelling for sometime, the troupe felt exhausted. Jallal, though desperate to trouble Jodha for his revenge, couldn't forget about his Badi ammi for his revenge. Hence, he ordered the soldiers to look for a place for resting and stop the troupe for the night. The soldiers set the tents and started the fire for cooking.

Once everything was set, the royal members retired to their respective tents. Jallal was seated in the resting tent where his courtiers were informing him about the things he has to take care of as soon as he reaches Agra. Though he was present there physically, subconsciously he was preparing for the next step of his revenge. After what felt like an eternity, the courtiers wished him for the night and moved away. Jallal walked to Jodha's tent.

His mind was playing various scenes of how broken Jodha would be. This brought an evil smile to his face. He reached Jodha's tent just when she was about to leave the tent. Jodha looked shocked for a second to find Jallal at her tent. Before Jodha could compose herself, Jallal asked her, 'Were you desperate to meet me, Jodha Begum, that you couldn't wait for me?' Jodha was confused at first. However, she soon realized that he misunderstood something. She was about to clear his misunderstanding. However, he didn't let her speak.

Jallal thought that his plan was working and hence, decided to insult Jodha in front of the servants who were present there. He was mentally smirking at his victory. He said, 'I know today is our first night. Wives are usually shy for this night, aren't they? I have heard from a few of the soldiers that their wives hated being touched on the very night of their marriages. Some even resisted. However, you seem to be very desperate. You were ready to come and call me for that. I am surprised, but I like it. I hope you won't disappoint me.' Jallal was smirking and insulting Jodha. Jodha, on the other hand, looked amused. She was trying to control her smile. However, Jallal was not paying attention to her face. Had he looked at her, he would have realised that something is wrong and would have stopped.
Jodha tried to stop Jallal, but Jallal could not leave a chance to insult her. He continued without a stop, 'You know something Jodha Begum. I haven't had it for weeks now. You should know that I am very passionate about it. I have a feeling that I might get disappointed by you as you are inexperienced. Not to worry though. C********s in Agra are very much experienced and know how to satisfy me. They will teach you how to satisfy me. But for now shall we proceed?' Jallal smirked and was mentally celebrating his victory.

Jodha was feeling bad for Jallal as he had a lot of expectations. At the time, she was also angry as he was openly insulting her in front of others. However, her anger shifted to victory when she noticed Maham Anga coming towards them. Maham Anga was walking towards Jallal and Jodha. She had purposefully missed informing Jallal about a ritual. She knew that Jallal wouldn't believe Jodha over her. She had come only to see Jodha being degraded by Jallal. She was enjoying it and waiting for Jodha's reply.

Jodha was smart enough to understand that Maham Anga had not mentioned the ritual to Jallal. While she doesn't believe in insulting others, Jallal's behaviour certainly was not appreciable. She decided to give him a taste of his own medicine. She said with a smirk, 'Shahenshah, I guess you should look for a new Wazir-e-Aaliya (Prime Minister).' Jallal looked confused, while Maham Anga looked clearly shocked. She didn't expect Jodha to be so straight forward. She still felt she could win this, not knowing that Jodha specializes in turning tables around.

Jodha continued immediately, 'Before the rituals had begun, my parents had informed Maham Anga that the first night can only take place after Grah pravesh in Agra. However, looking at your impatience, I guess she forgot to inform you. That means her memory is not very strong. Oh no! Shahenshah, what if she forgets to inform you about important things too. It is very dangerous, isn't it? It would be better if you retire her. Bechari! How much will she work for the Mughal Dynasty.'

Maham Anga smirked mentally. She immediately made an innocent face and turned towards Jallal, 'Jallal, I have no idea what she is talking about. Trust me, I would have informed you had I had any idea about it.' Jallal consoled Maham Anga that he trusts her. He turned towards Jodha to scold her. Jodha, however, knew something like this would happen. She immediately said, 'Really? Then why did Atgah Sahab tell me that you knew about it. He also assured me that you will inform Shehenshah. Wait, let me ask Atgah Sahab myself.' She immediately called Atgah without giving Maham any time to speak. Atgah Sahab, who was strolling near the tent looking after the security arrangement, heard Jodha's voice and immediately went there. He got more confused after finding Jallal and Maham Anga there. He pushed those thoughts away and wished them before turning towards Jodha. He asked her why she had called him.

Jodha politely spoke, 'Atgah Sahab, I want to apologise first for disturbing you. I just wanted to confirm something. I feel shy to ask this. But it is very important. Atgah Sahab, just before leaving Amer, my brother had informed me that you were aware of certain facts.' Atgah gave a confused look and requested Jodha to continue. Jodha took a deep breath before continuing, 'Were you aware that the .... first night.... of Shehenshah and I have to be postponed till we reach Agra?' Atgah felt embarrassed. However, he realized something had happened and immediately responded positively. Jodha continued, 'Didn't you assure him that Maham Anga will inform about this to Shehenshah as she already knew about it?' Atgah nodded again. Jodha finally asked her question, 'Then why is she telling that she is unaware about it?' Atgah was stunned.

Maham Anga got petrified. She never expected Jodha to ask Atgah about it. She felt Jodha would keep blaming her and not ask anyone else. Maham knew she had to speak up. However, Atgah took the opportunity to question her first, 'Maham Anga, what is this? I clearly remember speaking to you about it. I even asked you whether you want me to speak about this to Shahenshah. You had also assured me that you will speak to him yourself as Shahenshah feels comfortable with you. Then why is Jodha Begum asking this?' Jodha immediately took over, 'Maham Anga, there is nothing wrong in forgetting. But to this extent? I am speechless. Your mistake has spoiled Shahenshah's mood now. I feel so bad for him. You should have let Atgah Sahab speak to Shahenshah instead. Atleast Shahenshah would not have raised his hopes. Shahenshah, I apologize for the misunderstanding. I should have spoken to you myself about such a sensitive matter. I never expected that you would have no idea about it. I apologize once again. I hope you will forgive me.'

Jallal was fuming. His plan to insult her backfired and there was nothing he could do. His Badi ammi was insulted and again he could do nothing. He glared at Jodha before storming away. Jodha smiled at Atgah Sahab and wished him good night. Atgah Sahab wished back and left the place. Maham Anga glared at Jodha who smirked back. Maham just turned around and left the place. Jodha turned to the soldiers and sternly spoke, 'You heard nothing, I repeat, Nothing. Understood?' The soldiers nodded.

Jodha then went back to her tent to sleep peacefully. Jallal, on the other hand, was fuming and devising yet another plan to insult Jodha.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys!!!
I know its so long since I updated. I had been completely blank. I was not able to write anything at all.

I hope the wait was worth it.

Please read, vote and comment.