Prologue

I don't have much inspiration lately for my other stories, and I've been in a fairytale kind of mood lately so here's a fairytale I've been working on. :) enjoy.

xx

Once Upon a Time...

In the enchanted world of Pan-Ethereal...

The dim and dense forest that seemed to go on forever bisected the land, separating the two great kingdoms. In the East was Rosym, which was partially in the mountains and by the great sea.

And on the other side...

West of the great forest...

There was the kingdom of Reinhart. It was a most beautiful place.

It contained a massive town, where from morning to sunset was buzzing with activity. Hunters and fishermen sold their fresh captures. Farmers obtained food for their animals while supplying the market with eggs, milk and butter. Once the harvest happened, they would return with delicious vegetables and in the spring, sweet fruits would begin to grow. The butchers would get to work on the carcasses of fowl and beast.

But the stench of death was muted by other aromas. The smell of fire and smoke from the blacksmith was an overpowering one. But not all smells were unpleasant. Strolling past the bakers, the nose would become enamored with their intoxicating wares in the windows: pies, bread, and even fancier goods when it was the day of celebration. And today was such a day.

The steep hills on the edge of town were abloom. Flowers of every shape and color grew in abundance and the right wind would send a sweet bouquet of smells down through the large village. Speaking of bouquets, the peasant girls were hard at work picking the best flora for the royal party as ordained by the king's groundskeeper. Everything had to be perfect for the new arrival.

The baby prince was to make his first public appearance.

His name was announced by King Helmond himself. He raised his infant son to the crowd so all could see and declared her Prince Jaidon, heir to the throne of Reinhart. The peasantry erupted in cheer and applause at the happy news.

There was another child born that day. But nobody seemed to notice. Not a flower was offered. Not a candle was lit. No toast was made. Not one voice roared with joy or laughter. No semblance of celebration for this one. But she was no less beautiful than the royal child and the heavens seemed to smile upon her just as brightly. Sadly, only the stars danced on the eve of her birth.

Unlike the slightly darker-skinned infant in the tower, this one was more fair in tone. She brought to mind a warm summer afternoon. She had big brown eyes which exuded a kind of gentleness that unfortunately the girl's mother could never equal. Upon having her child, the poor woman discarded the infant on the back of a donkey-driven cart. The baby did not cry for despite the cold of the night, she was surrounded by pretty flowers illuminated by the moonlight.

The king's groundskeeper, Brion, thanked the florist for the beautiful flowers. He sighed as he ordered the donkey to pull the cart back to the castle, relieved that this was the very last of it. He seldom enjoyed the festivities for he was typically charged with the task of preparing the complex decorations and other arrangements. From sunup, it had been nothing but pedals and the smell of cut stems.

The great castle on the hill was a fortified fortress made of this absolutely marvelous stone. It's tall towers with their spires stretching to reach the sky. Even from miles away, well outside of town, the castle was still a magnificent sight that dwarfed the relatively modest housing of the commoners below. However, there was a deliberate reason for it's grand design. It could reasonably accommodate the townspeople, both for coronations and other ceremonies but also in time of war. The denizens could stay huddled within the strong walls until it was safe to come out.

Brion, upon unloading the perennials, noticed the abandoned baby amongst the freshly-picked flowers. The child was fast asleep though quite cold to the touch. Brion held her but almost dropped her at the sight of the king. The merciful monarch regarded the fair-skinned baby and smiled. While a strong-willed man, the happiness of his son's birth brought out his tender side throughout the day. He ordered that the child will remain within the castle walls and will earn her keep by assisting the servants when she was old enough. Brion nodded contritely and sought blankets and warm milk for the girl.

"Well, you're prettier than any flower I have seen all day" Brion smiled. "And I have seen every flower in the world today." The girl's eyes remained closed but a peaceful smile came to her face. Something inside her felt safe.

Now the child that nobody wanted was a resident of the castle on the hill. The ladies and gentlemen serving the royal family grew attached to her, taking turns between their duties to care for her. They even settled on a name: Ariana.