Chapter One

Days become months. Months become years.

And in time, the abandoned girl Ariana became a steward of the royal family.

Given her close proximity in age, she was oftentimes charged with duties involving his Grace, Prince Jaidon. Over the years, since she was just under ten, Ariana always harbored a funny feeling in the pit of her stomach when she was near the king's son. This uneasiness was chalked up to the natural nervousness that anyone would feel in the presence of the monarch and his family.

Though understandably nervous and eager to please, Ariana did not feel quite the same as when she was in the sight of King Helmond. The apprehension when with Jaidon wasn't fully articulated until her formative years progressed into the beginnings of young womanhood.

The other servant girls would fawn over the latest young man of nobility who sought the hand of the teenage prince for their sister. Ariana, on the other hand, would find her attention drawn to the prince himself. The humble orphan found the very thought of someone of her standing being the object of a prince's affection preposterous.

"It was a pleasant thought," she sighed to herself. "But it shall never be more than a thought. A creature this high and adored deserves his equal. And that is not me."

Prince Jaidon feigned being ill from a cold to get out of his etiquette classes. He then proceed to barricade his chamber doors and crawled out of the window. The roof was slanted not too steeply that Jaidon could make a quick getaway without being detected. After a couple of close calls from the roof still being somewhat wet from the night before; he gripped a banner bearing the family coat of arms and slid down it.

It was a foggy morning. Only in the courtyard of the castle could one stroll outside and see clearly. Having an affinity for cold weather like this, Jaidon thought to go for a stroll. He knew this part of the castle would be deserted this time of day. His father and mother were busy with their duties as were the servants; nobody would be there to bother him nor notice him missing from his room.

Smelling the morning air, he was distracted long enough for a figure to take him by surprise. It was Ariana. And she had a sword.

More intrigued than alarmed, Jaidon went to investigate just what she was doing. There was a post in the yard that had a lookout post a boy could climb and be able to see across the entire valley in every direction. Ariana was apparently pretending to spar with the stationary post. The prince had to admire the girl; her movements were quick and she commanded that blade with the ease of a quill.

"Impressive," Jaidon said aloud, startling Ariana with a gasp.

"Your Highness," her brown eyes quickly downcast, her once broad stance slunk. "My apologies. I am so so sorry."

Jaidon held up his hand. "Please, do not curtsey. Really."

Ariana slowly raised her head while keeping her body crouched. They made eye contact but the servant was determined to keep them from being level. It would be disrespectful.

"Permit me," Jaidon continued. "I was just admiring your swordplay." He cocked his head at the tall wooden post. "Not much of an opponent but it is nice to know you do not back down from someone bigger than you."

The girl laughed, instinctively covering her mouth embarrassed. "So sorry, My Grace."

"Would you please stop with this foolishness," Jaidon shook his head. "It is perfectly alright to laugh at something funny."

Ariana smiled meekly.

"As I was saying, you are quite good Ariana. You must have practiced a great deal."