NEW GIRL | CHAPTER ONE

"

"...No."

It was a sunny afternoon. Five teen mutants and their doctor sat in a circle starting their daily group session.  The room was full of tension, with no one talking until Dr. Reyes started to tell them about one of their older session.

"Yesterday, I asked you to think about the first time your mutation manifested." Dr.Reyes started to say while looking at the mutants.

Jessica looked up at Dr. Reyes, making eye contact with her as she looked at each of them.  The young mutant didn't enjoy coming to these meetings. They made her feel anxious not knowing what to say at the right moment or time. Even when she was surrounded by people she would consider family, she felt as if she said the wrong thing, everyone in the room would despise her.

She looked to her left looking at her best friend, Sam. He looked up feeling as if someone was watching him, only to find Jessica staring at him. The two looked at each other knowing how the other felt: uneasy.

They had been friends ever since Jessica first got to the facility, instantly clicking when they first met. Over the years they started to create a special bond that they only had and developed feelings for one another.  Being scared of telling the other, neither of them knew about the other's feelings other than themselves. Their feelings for each didn't cause any tension between the two. It only made their friendship grow stronger. The two broke eye contact focusing on Dr. Reyes as she began to speak again.

"Would anyone like to share?" The doctor look at each teen wondering if anyone would speak up.

"Sam?" Dr. Reyes asked looking at the boy.

Sam looked up at Dr. Reyes with a bruise on his left eye. He didn't try to reply to the doctor only looking down back at the floor.

"Jessica?" Dr. Reyes proceeded to continue around the circle.

"...No."

Jessica didn't share as much as Dr. Reyes would like her to. The only times she would contribute to their conversations was if Reyes would force her to or if Illyana was saying something rude.

"Illyana?" Reyes asked the blonde girl.

Illyana turned Locky towards Dr. Reyes and had him shake his head no. Dr. Reyes moved to the next person not finding any luck.

"Roberto?"

Roberto did the same as Sam and decided to stay quiet. He looked away from the doctor not bothering to give her an answer to her question.

"Rahne?" Dr. Reyes ask the younger girl being the last person she could ask in the group.

Not wanting to speak, Rahne shook her head no and started to play with the hems of her sleeves.

"Look, we can't help each other unless we talk to each other." Dr. Reyes tries to tell the kids

"I've said this a hundred times. This program can't help you if you refuse to participate. So, Rahne, why don't you start?" She looked over at the young mutant wanting her to tell her how she manifested her mutation.