𝟏 | 𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐊𝐒

The heels of Lorraine's boots clicked softly against her new hardwood floors. The apartment was small but cozy, and she was looking forward to calling this new space home for the next few years that Folks, Washington would provide.

Although she was optimistic toward the small town, the bare insides of Lorraine's new space were slightly disheartening. There was no need for a bed, but she put one in the designated bedroom nonetheless. She tried to fill up open areas with shelves for books and other things she could find.

"I like it," Elliot's voice rang against the empty walls. "It's very you."

"That sounds backhanded." Lorraine smiled, turning her head to see a girl leaning against the wall. "Does that mean it looks nice?"

"It looks great. Don't worry." Elliot let out a sweet laugh, and Lorraine smiled wider.

Elliot was slightly shorter than her but looked much more full of life with her flushed cheeks and bright, brown eyes. Lorraine must have been staring because Elliot cleared her throat and put her hands on her hips.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Just taking you in," Lorraine confessed. "I think you look nice today."

"Well, of course, you do," Elliot replied cheekily. Her fingers brushed over the skirt of her dress before grabbing the sides and waving it around. "You better hurry, or you're going to be late."

Lorraine didn't mean to look away when she scoffed. Eyes falling to the floor, and the apartment felt empty again. Looking back up, Elliot was gone, along with the light that she brought, and Lorraine was alone.

Shoving her hands in her pockets, she smiled somberly.

Forks was nothing like Lorraine had seen before. It was smaller than any town she had ever passed through. All the residents were closely acquainted and acutely aware of her presence as a newcomer.

When she had first arrived, Lorraine visited the only high school in the area and enrolled herself as an emancipated minor. Already, she had caught the attention of everyone there when she made her way from the parking lot to the school's office.

There were others she had caught the eyes of.

She knew of the small coven of vampires that occupied the student body. Lorraine sensed them when she entered the crowded parking lot and could feel their eyes on her from afar. Still, she refused to look around and risk the chance of meeting eyes with a nosy, outgoing student.

Pulling into the parking lot for the second time ever, Lorraine could smell them. They outnumbered her with how prominent their scents were, but she convinced herself not to worry. She was confident they wouldn't risk anything by making a move on her.

Climbing the stairs to the school, a hand on her arm brought her to a halt.

"Hi, you're the new girl, right?" The peppy tone of the young adult made Lorraine's chest tighten in regret for attending. "My name's Jessica. It's great to meet you. And, can I just say, you are so pretty. Like, wow, supermodel over here."

Lorraine smiled politely. "Thank you. I'm Lorraine."

"Yes, hello," Jessica repeated, giggling nervously. "Um, I'm here to give you a little tour, show you your classes and everything. I'm Student Body President, so like, I pretty much know a lot about the school."

"Lead the way," Lorraine agreed, nodding her head in the direction of the entrance. Jessica went on to talk about something else that seemed to go in one ear and out the other for Lorraine. Her eyes flitted back, and she caught sight of the group of vampires approaching the school behind her. Each member had their eyes set on her, but Lorraine remained unbothered and considered them an unlikely threat.