Chapter Six

My phone vibrates vigorously on the kitchen countertop as I search the fridge for mayo. After piling on loads of meat and cheese into two tiny slices of bread I eagerly located the mayo to add the finishing touches. With one hand on my sandwich I use the other to retrieve my phone, three messages from a new number. My stomach convulses as my fingers quickly swipe up to reveal the messages.

Hey Luke, it's Tammy.

Sorry for sending the pic so late.

Followed by a pic of her expertly drawn and labelled frog diagram.

I can't help the feeling that has overcome me, it's a bit hard to describe like a cross between extreme happiness and gut churning anxiety. What should I say? I needed to sound cool, not nervous or nerdy. She obviously liked cool guys, athletic, charming like Murray. Juxtaposed to me awkward, socially anxious, anime loving, table tennis playing dork.

Hey, thanks... I begin typing. She already said Hey, don't use Hey. I should google synonyms for Hey. Greetings, hi, howdy are the first few suggestions. Howdy? Really? Ok no hey then.

Thanks Tammy, appreciate it.

Should I use appreciate, is it too formal? What's another word for appreciate? Confessions of an over thinker I should have a vlog, I think internally. Just send it another voice demands, my thumb hovers over the send key, contemplating. I shouldn't reply this quickly, give it a few minutes.

Before I could set my phone aside the status next to the unsaved number changes to Online. Shit, she's online she can see me, well not me but see that I'm online and that I've read her messages.

What should I do? Leave quickly? No stay she already saw you, uhmmm maybe she's in another person's chat and not mine. Maybe she can't see that I'm online, I should leave now. No she's seeing you online right now, just respond. My mind has always been quite theatrical. I inhale deeply and hit send quickly on my Thanks Tammy, appreciate it response.

Within seconds she's typing. Shittttttttt.............

You're welcome...

What are you up to?

Oh my, oh my my my, this sandwich would definitely have to wait I think to myself grinning from ear to ear. The jaw dropping Tamara Pippin just engaged me, Lucas Jacob Cambridge in small talk, today has undoubtedly been repatriations from God for yesterday's chaos.

                                                             ************ Flash Forward ************

Tammy and Luke spend a lot of time together after her apology.

They start off by texting daily, which graduates to having lunch together followed by FaceTime at night.

Trent and Aurora are kinda like a couple now after the seniors' field trip, so Tammy clings to Luke as they spend a lot of their free time together.

Luke has been able to express himself a lot better as he has become comfortable around Tammy. He is no longer as nervous or cautious and the two have a lot in common.

Luke has met Tammy's mom and even though Tammy spends a lot of her evenings at Luke's house, his parents are never at home.

His mom works late daily while his dad who is a senior partner at an accounting firm is just as busy.

They study together on evenings, have been to the cinema together countless times and Tammy has even helped him update his wardrobe. Luke is obviously attracted to Tammy however he does his best to maintain their friendship.