Learning

Eventually, Damian wants to learn how to fight like a Greek, afraid of asking Percy for help, but doesn't let that stop him! And imagine the surprise of the others when he starts fighting like Percy in the middle of a battle, helping save their butts. :D

(Edited 3.11.24: rewritten)

╔═══════ 🔱═══════╗

(Dami's POV)

I concealed myself discreetly in the corner of the room, close enough to the entrance to escape if need be. I'd rather have an escape route if this plan goes south though I hope it would not be necessary.

Sighing I really should just forget about asking, he would not spare me his precious time to help. I would not expect he would. But I am a master assassin, I must learn everything about every art of fighting, and who cares if he will not? I am fearless!

So why could I not do it...?

Shaking my head I turned my attention to Percy as he sat with the infant, bouncing her atop his lap and jingling around a jangly assortment of toys. His grin was clear as day, although it was obvious that he had been infatuated with his little sister since day one. I... guess it made sense, although I did not fully understand it. It is not like I ever had a younger sibling before.

Becoming focused on a thread I shook my head, this was no time to be stalling. Tugging the threads' woven pattern I moved the soft material of my button-up between my fingers, frowning as I went over what I would say.

(Percy's POV)

Estelle's drool dripped to the side of her mouth in a bundle of giggles and I couldn't help but laugh along. Gosh, my little seastar was perfect, my lips tugged into a wide smile.

But feeling the prickle of someone watching me my eyes drifted over and spotted Dami. I could've sworn he'd been standing in that shadowy corner for well over five minutes now, his dark eyes staring intently.

"Hey," I softly whispered, causing his eyes to flick up, "you good?"

Unsure, his footfalls became muffled by the carpet as he took a deep breath, "...would you grant me the request of training in the arts of Greek combat?"

He said it all in one whoosh of breath, cheeks flushing slightly, and I was taken back. Everyone froze in the room and I could see he was becoming more nervous with being on the receiving end of so many stares.

"...please..." he mumbled afterward and you could practically hear a pin drop in the room.

"Of course I will," I tilted my head, hair following my confused movement," but wouldn't you already be good in the fighting department?"

"Greek sparring was not a... required, fighting style in my training," he perched himself on the couch's edge almost- nervously? "I... would like to learn from a Master such as yourself."

"You are much more adequate," he mumbled so quietly that I almost missed it. I blinked.

Ok, it was one thing for Damian to admit someone was adequate, but asking for help and saying please? It was a rare chance, though I was touched that he came to me for this. Although, I reminded myself, when it came to the matter of fighting he never let anything stand in the way. 

He was always a determined kid, I hid a smile.

"How about we start tomorrow," I stood up, adjusting Estelle on my hip. A slow smile widened across my face and I could see the tension leave his shoulders just a bit.