The Encounter

It was a hotter summer than usual on the East Coast, and the humidity had finally aligned with the clouds above, cultivating into sudden pop up of thunderstorms. The menacing dark sky should have been enough reason for Grace to stay home, but she was stubborn and needed to run. Running was the only thing keeping her sane these days between work and school. It hurtled her overthinking into submission, making her too tired to care about anything other than getting the oxygen she desperately gasped for with each forced step.  She often wondered why she did not take up stress eating chocolate instead as it would be much more enjoyable.
The sky belted out a few small crackles letting Grace know her time was limited. She grimaced as her feet bounced faster towards home, taking a shortcut down the wooded path she usually likes to avoid.  It was a place many avoided, said to be cursed by the native tribes who once dwelled there.  They cursed the land to defend against the foreigners invading. The sacred forest barely touched from modern civilization was mainly used by locals who scoffed at the paranormal stories passed down from the settlers. Grace always felt uneasy here. As if something lurked in the shadows, watching...waiting.  She only used this shortcut when absolutely necessary.

Grace groaned, annoyed seeing the thick, steamy haze floating a few inches off the ground, making the pathway creepier than usual. Between the tree coverage and the hidden sun, the daylight mimicked a nighttime vibe. She shook off the warning chill that crawled up her spine, concentrating on the trail, maneuvering around the rocks and tree roots.

A warm wind pushed at the trees rattling their leaves like cheerleaders waving pom-poms. A flash of lightning lit up the darkness of tree cover, exposing the overgrowth of unkempt weeds, then came the heavy rain. Grace surrendered to the rain giving in to the drenching outcome since she was already soaked in a stinky sweat. It felt refreshing, rinsing away the moist stickiness gathering in the most unpleasant places around her body.  Her sneakers squeaked from her heels, rubbing against the soggy padding of the inner soles as she splashed through the puddles. The drops mingled with her salty sweat dripping down her face, blurring her vision.

Grace turned up her headphones to keep her mind off of the eerie surroundings. Her loud, upbeat tune kept her unaware of what was about to transpire. The bass thudded in her eardrums, drowning out the deep, bellowing thunder. The vibration of her fast-paced feet generated a camouflage from the roaring thunder shaking the ground beneath her. It was trying to warn her to turn around.

The path wound to the left, hiding what laid ahead. As she came to the bend, her headphones produced a loud static causing her to pause. Grace, breathing heavily, clutched at her hips as she splattered the salty mixed rainwater with each exhale of her lips.  A sudden bright flash of lightning momentarily blinded her. She blinked several times to regain normal vision when she thought she saw an outline of a man, but by the third blink, the image was gone. The thunder growled at her.  The hair on her neck stood up as an ominous feeling swept around her.

A deafening, bright boom shook where she stood, followed by an intense electrical force thrusting her backward to the ground. A piercing pain radiated from her skull, with a warm sensation of fresh blood dripping down her neck. She landed under an old large withering tree. A rustling, cracking sound rose from its roots as it began to lean towards her.  She threw her hands up instinctively, waiting for the tree's deadly impact.

Then out from the shadows of the treetops, a dark figure emerged, swooping down, saving Grace from her mortal fate. She felt its strong arms lift her with ease.  Afraid, she clutched this stranger in a bear hug, squeezing her eyes closed.  Its breath whispered in her ear. The warmth of its body soothed the cold, wet chill running through her. Grace's head spun in an achy daze. Her limbs went numb, and she felt herself succumb to an exhausted heaviness, losing consciousness.