A Man Like Me

Loki P.O.V

After Agent Coulson left, I immediately went to my quarters. He can't have gotten his strength back already. He was too weak. Thanos' forces had been all but decimated by the Avengers. Thor had told me that... Thor... my brother... No! Now is not the time for grief. There is a serious problem at hand. His forces could be growing as we speak. And with Ronan at his disposal, the Avengers would need a miracle.

As I sat in my room, pondering what to do, I heard music coming from the living room. I went to investigate and found Tony playing the piano. Johanna had one hand on his back and the other on the large instrument. Tony sang as he played.

This is the night I've been dreaming of forever
The mirror takes a look at my face
I'll never set foot in that rat hole again
But I'll drive to your place
I spit gravel as I back out of the back door
And the twenties roll around in my hand
It's funny now, when I don't show up on Monday
They'll go nuts, and eat their hats, well, what do you think of that?
She says, you're throwing life away
To move with a man like me
She's not blind
She just don't have mind to see...

I took cautious steps, being as quiet as I could. A man like me, he sang. What's wrong with a man like him. He's very wealthy, a gifted fighter, and from how he treats Johanna, a good caretaker. What's wrong with a man like him?

"Sir, I think you've earned yourself a new fan." Stupid computer. Tony turned around to see me standing in the hallway. "I never knew you could play." I said. "No one does... no one but Hanna... and she can't even hear me..." Tony looked down and ran his fingers over the ivory keys. "One of my nannies taught me when I was little. My dad was never around so I had free time to do... anything really."

He never talks about his father. Tony looked almost sad recalling his memory. "What was he like? Your father." I asked. Tony scoffed and smirked. "I don't know, you tell me. We're talking about the man who's happiest day of his life was when he shipped me off to boarding school."

He must have seen the confused look on my face. "Boarding school is where rich parents send their kids to keep them outta the way. He probably didn't even know I was gone..." I wonder if Odin feels the same. Probably not. "What about Odin? Was he a good father? Before all of this happened that is..."

I laughed. Those were the days. I told Tony and signed to Johanna that my childhood was actually quite normal. I played in the courtyard with Thor and Sif, sat at the foot of Odin's throne as he told us stories, and fantasized about being king.

Johanna hung on to every word. Her eyes lit up like the stars overhead. Especially when I mentioned Jotunheim. She was so curious about Frost Giants. I told her of the Utgard-Loki, who lived in the south. Of the antics my brother and I had looking for Elderstahl, the Fire Giant sword that had been hidden there. And of how I came to Asgard, that my father didn't want me, so Odin took me in.

Before I knew it, we had wasted half the night talking. Finally, our thoughts were brought back to earth when Tony's computer interrupted. "Sir, Mr. Rodgers is here to see you. He has what you asked him to purchase."
"Send him up." He replied. "Sorry, storytime will have to wait."

Steve walked into the room where we were holding a large cardboard box. "I went down to the goodwill store and found what I could. Hopefully they'll fit him." I peeked inside and saw different clothes. Shirts, slacks, night clothes. They looked my size.

"Johanna texted me and said you needed stuff to wear." Johanna turned to Steve and signed, "I'll take these and wash them first." She then proceeded to carry the box to the laundry room.

Steve placed his hand on my shoulder. "Loki, can I talk to you for a sec? Stark, why don't you go help Hanna?" Steve proceeded to lead me off towards the window. He looked out across the skyline and sighed. "Look, just because your helping S.H.I.E.L.D doesn't mean you're above the law." He slapped a hand on my shoulder and pointed his finger at me, mere centimeters from my face. "You make one move out of line, and you'll be right back in your little glass box."

He moved away from me and glanced in Johanna's direction. "But if she's making the move to trust you, I wont protest... for now."