III.

"You're...you're engaged."

It wasn't a question.

Silence enveloped the two of them as they sat side by side, only to feel so far away emotionally. Caitlin found herself in a rare situation as she found herself speechless when she usually had the answers at the tip of her tongue. But this time, she knew, it wasn't an equation waiting to be solved. And in all honesty she didn't know what to make of this situation.

Barry, on the hand, had been feeling almost the same except for the stinging feeling of pain, of rejection that wasn't even said but he could feel it all the same. He waited for this moment since he was seven, has waited for her since he knew what love actually meant.

Although it was embarrassing to admit, he had come up with countless different scenarios in his head, had imagined each one so vividly. But never had he seen this one coming, for it had to be the odd one out and he's afraid he knows exactly why.

It's the only one which didn't seem to end the way he wanted, the one without a happy ending.

Running a hand through his hair, he noticed the way Caitlin fidgets with the ring on her finger. It must've been her way of finding comfort and he winces in irony for he does just the same, only with her name in that finger and not a ring to cover it up.

He decided that this was it and he remembered what his mother said about it not being all sunshine and rainbows and sometimes, he's got to weather the storm. But right now, he doesn't think he has what it takes to endure against that avalanche when it had hit him right at his weak spot, leaving him vulnerable and raw.

"I...I have to go."

Upon hearing those words, Caitlin almost felt like breaking down. It had been the very words she last heard from him and right now, she's terrified that it might be the last she'll hear from the man who she knew deserved the world, deserved anything better than her.

She felt the weight beside her lift, leaving her empty and alone like she never felt before. She blamed it on the soulmate bond because there's no way she could ever feel this way towards someone she just met, could she? Even when this certain someone had been so warm, caring and understanding towards her.

Somehow, she wished he had been different – like he could've been less earnest, less sincere, less him. But she knew deep down she wouldn't have him any other way. She just hoped he didn't have that instant effect on her that took her completely by surprise.

She heard him enter a room, probably the one where he left his belongings in. It wasn't a moment longer when he's bidding her goodbye and she could only do nothing but nod. Not knowing what she's really throwing away in that crucial moment.

"I guess I'll be seeing you around then." He said, clutching his messenger bag in one hand and his suitcase with the other. He couldn't bear to look her in the eye as he bid her farewell, knowing it might break his resolve and stay when she didn't want him to.

Caitlin just looked at his defeated form, unsure of what it is she's feeling right now that's oddly familiar within her. All she knows is that, she isn't entirely at peace with her decision but as per usual, she brushes it off, thinking that it'll be better for them this way.

"Yeah. I'm really sorry that it didn't came out the way you expected it to be."

He meets her eye for the first and last time as he spoke, "Maybe you just can't entrust everything to destiny, can you?"

He flashed her a sad smile and it took everything in her not to rush to him and engulf him in a comforting hug, just as her body screams for her to do. It was agonizing on her part to see him in pain and if she could, she never would've think twice to give them both a shot.