Chapter 1

Clank Clank

I hear metal clanking and the ground below me is moving. I open my eyes and it is pitch black other than the occasional light passing. I feel nauseous and throw up, coughing like I had just smoked for the first time. I lean against a wall and push my hair out of my face. I hear a screech and follow the sound. I pull up the blanket laying over a crate and a hog is in it. I push the blanket down and back away. I try to remember who I am and where I am but I can't remember anything. The cage stops and I look up. Doors are opening up above me and the light is unbearable.

"What did they bring us this time?" A deep voice asks.

"It's- it's a girl." Another voice answers.

I look up after a second and a group of around 15 teenage boys are standing above me. All different heights and races. I back into a corner when one of them jumps on. He is tall and muscular with blond hair and blue eyes. He tries to pick me up but I hit him.

"Get away from me." I growl.

My voice is higher and girlier then I expected it to be. That just goes to show how much I know about myself. Which is nothing. He just scoffs and picks me up.

"Let me down, you idiot." I yell.

He ignores me so I bite him. He drops me and I run, only to slide and fall on my ass. But it's because I stop myself. I ran straight into a doorway in the middle of huge stone walls.

"What is this place?" I whisper.

I get yanked in the arm but turn around and push the guy. I go to run the other way but end up running into another guy. I grumble as I fall again. The guy picks me up and I kick at him. He ignores me and shoves me into a ditch with a door.

"Let me out!" I scream.

I sit in a corner and start to cry. How did I get here? What is my name? With all the questions running through my head I start to hyperventilate. I try to calm myself down by sleeping. Maybe this is dream.

"Hey, Greenie. Sit up." I hear a low voice demand.

So much for sleeping. I sit up and turn towards the door. A black man is kneeling in front of it. He looks about 20.

"I'm Alby." He smiles.

I give him a fake smile.

"Are you going to let me out?" I snap.

"If you don't run." He answers.

I nod my head and he unlocks the door. I take his hand and he pulls me out.

"What is this place?" I ask looking around.

There is a huge field and woods behind it. The whole thing is surrounded by stone walls.

"This is the Glades. Home to us Gladers."

"Why can't I remember anything?" I ask.

"That's normal. You'll get your name back in a day or so. It's the only thing they let us keep." He answers.

"Who is 'they?'"

"The creators, the people who put us here."

I sigh and look around.

"Everyone has a job. We have the Bricknicks over there, the Med-Jacks in that building, the Sloppers, Cooks, Track-Hoes, Map-Makers and Slicers all have stations over the Glade." Alby explains.

"Is there any other job?" I ask.

"Not one you want." Is his answer.

"Whats that?" I ask nodding toward the opening.

He doesn't answer just starts introducing me to people.

"The first guy that you bit was Gally, the second guy was Thomas, that is Newt, Chuck and Minho."

Newt is tall, around 17, and has blond hair and brown eyes.Chuck is around 13 and is shorter then everyone else, he has brown curly hair and big brown eyes. Minho is Asian and has black hair and brown eyes. He looks about 18.

"Alby?" I ask.

"Yea." He asks back.

"What do I look like?" I whisper

"You have long wavy brown hair and blue eyes. You look about 16 and are short." He describes.

I smile but I guess he can sense my self consciousness because he hands me a small piece of glass.

"Where did you get this?" I ask.

"One month we got a huge square. Everyone took a little." He shrugs

I look in it and am surprised. I am prettier then I would've imagined. I smile and mess with my hair. I look down at what I am wearing. I have on dark high-waisted shorts and a short black tee shirt, with combat boots.

"Come on, tonight is special." Alby laughs.

He drags me over to his tree house thingy and we climb up it. We go to the top and you can see everything. Everyone is surrounding the fire pit. They are decorating and cooking.

"It's almost time."

I laugh and turn towards him.

"Who were those guys coming in from there? I thought you said we couldn't go in there?" I ask.

"They were runners, they know more about that place then anyone." He explains.

He gets up and I follow him. He finishes the tour and by the time were done it's dark.

"Come one, it's time." Alby smiles.

I follow him to the pit and everyone is holding flaming sticks. They throw them in and the place lights up. Everyone cheers and start to drink. Some guys play music and I dance with a few. I catch Newt and wall over to him.

"Having fun?" He asks in a posh accent.

"Yea." I answer honestly.

He passes me his drink and I take a gulp. Whatever it is is really gross and I cough.

"What is that?" I asks, disgusted.

"I don't know, it's Gally's recipe."

"Well, I don't like him." I say.

"He has the right intentions." He argues.

"Yea right." I whisper putting my head on his shoulder.

I can feel him chuckle by the shaking of his shoulders.

"What's in there?" I ask him.

He knows I'm talking about the opening and he tenses up.

"Please, Newt." I say standing in front of him and touching his chest.

"It's a maze." He sighs.

I just look at him and then back to the 'maze' opening.

"Whoa." Is all I can get out.

I start walking to it but he stops me by putting his hand on my waist.

"Fine. Look I'm going to go to bed. I'll see you tomorrow." I say.

I kiss his cheek and walk to the homestead. Chuck tells me which one is mine and I lay down. Realizing how tired I am, I close my eyes and slowly fall asleep.

Hey guys, so I hope you like the first chapter. Thanks for reading!
-Lexi