Chapter 2

I am sitting in a room. I don't know where I am but it is familiar. A woman with blond hair keeps saying "Wicked is good." Thomas is sitting across from me. He keeps saying Maelie. That's it. That's my name.

And then I wake up. A hand goes over my mouth and I turn. It's Alby.

"Come on." He motions me.

I follow him and see the runners going into the maze. I feel a pang of jealousy go through me. Alby takes me to a part of the wall where everyone has written there name.

"Has your name come back yet?" He asks.

"Yea, I heard it in my dream." I smile.

He hands me his knife and I take it. I carve in my name and I realize it is the best written.

"Of course you have good penmanship. You're a girl." Alby shakes his head.

I laugh and we walk back to the village. The cook named Frypan is already up and cooking. Alby whispers something to him and Fry nods. I give them a confused look but they shrug it off.

"Hey." Gally says coming up to me.

"What?" I ask him.

"Look we got off on the wrong foot yesterday. I wanted to say I'm sorry...."

"Maelie. My name is Maelie." I smile.

He smiles and kisses my hand.

"Welcome, Maelie."

I giggle and he walks away.

"Hey, was he bothering you?" Newt asks coming up to me.

"No he was actually being a gentleman."

He nods and I smile at him.

"What?" He asks a smile coming across his face.

"I remember." I giggle.

"You remember?" He asks.

"Mhm, Maelie."

He smiles and picks me, spinning me around.

"Maelie is a beautiful name."

I smile and hug him. He smiles and my heart skips. What? I don't have feelings for him. I think. Alby calls Newt and we say goodbye. I see all the guys going in the main building.

"Hey, I need you." Chuck demands.

I sigh and ask him what he needs.

"You need to get fertilizer." He explains.

I nod and take the bucket. I walk into the woods and look back at the village. Everyone has disappeared. I walk deeper in and see a gravestone made from wood.I bend down and touch it. I stand up and look down. The bones are there. I back up and hear breathing. I turn around and a guy is standing in front of me. He is breathing heavily and his eyes are blood shot.

"Um, hi. Can you help me? I'm sort of-"

"This is your fault." He growls.

He is walking closer to me and I back up. He charges and I push him to the ground. It doesn't do much because he gets right back up. I run as fast as I can through the woods.