Chapter Three: Tracking

When I woke up it was almost dawn. I stood up, streched and yawned. I picked up my blanket and folded it. After putting my blanket up I walked over to the edge of the water and splashed some of the cold liquid on my face. As I stood up a twig snapped somewhere in the woods caused me to freeze.

I quietly buttoned my cloak, and listened. Once I was sure the sound wasn't coming towards me I exited my cave and put my hood on. Listening one last time I glided silently over the leaves as I got closer to the sound, which seemed to be getting closer to the boundary line.

As the wind blew I picked up a faint scent of cinnamon and spice, a scent that was not from any of the other members of the pack. I took a step closer as the wind picked up, allowing me to catch a whiff of a more recognizable scent. Before I could react a flash of black had me tackled to the ground.

"Max!" I screamed as he licked my face. As I pushed him off me I heard what I was tracking take off. "What the hell?!?" I shouted at him as he shifts forms. "Got you." He barely got out through his laughter. I sniffed the air frantically, "great my only lead is to weak to follow." I thought as I glared at him.

Once Max was able to stop laughingat his achievement of scaring me he gave me a playful punch in the arm. "Hey, chill out, okay. I was just playing with you. I didn't mean to upset you. What are you doing out here anyways, you're awfully close to the boundary." He said teasingly. "Well," I started agitated, fixing my cloak, "if you must know, something was out here and I was tracking it."

Max's eyes suddenly became hard  and you could see his wolf surface as he became very alert. "Come on Rose, we need to go in." He grabbed my arm harder than he needed to causing me to yelp at the pain. He didn't let me go until we got inside.

"Why dont you go get ready for school, I need to go talk to the gaurd troops." He said coldly. "Why? What did I hear? What was I tracking?" I asked him causing him to pause at the door.

Looking back at me he said, "look, all you need to know is it's dangerous, and im going to get you in training classes so you can protect yourself." With that he left me alone, confused, afraid, and hurt.