Strawberries

No one really knows exactly when a friendship happens, it's just there; sitting in the back of your mind and it blossoms into something wonderful. Much like what happened with Chloe and Luke, best friends since first grade.

Of course, their friendship began when Luke had moved into Chloe's neighborhood. Chloe was the little blonde girl with green eyes who'd play with you until your heart was content. She was a fantastic friend, and that was just what Luke needed.

Evolving from mud pies to the face, to playing in the rain, to swimming in each other's pool during the summer, and to playful picnics at the park on nice days, the two were inseparable. By now, they were in the sixth grade, still as close as ever.

Middle school was filled with rumors, it always had been, and always will be. Especially with these raging hormones for Chloe and this new 'monthly schedule', neither helped with the new environment. Middle school was crazy for a beginner.

After the first day of sixth grade, Chloe had gone over to Luke's house to discuss how the day went. Even considering they literally had the same schedule because they refused to not be near the other when they needed to make a joke or talk, they still decided they wanted to express their excitement together.

They continued this meet-up after school everyday for about three weeks. Always sitting in the same spots, always talking about the same subjects, and always laughing at the other's silly jokes. The consistency became a problem for Chloe one day, at least, where they sat became a problem.

Luke's house was decorated in a way that made you feel at home and comfortable. This included blankets draped on couches, the house set to a nice temperature, nice furniture, and a welcoming family. The problem was the white couch Chloe and Luke always sat on.

After school, Mrs. Hemmings would make snacks for the kids, usually consisting of strawberries, blueberries, or assortments of packaged chips. She would always greet the kids with questions about their day and how it went. Although, she never got as much gossip as when she would occasionally walk by and listen to their conversations. Apparently Miranda had a booger hanging in her nose that day, she heard the two laugh.

Chloe and Luke sat down and began their usual chitchat and pulled out their homework. Beginning with English, the two's favorite subject, they began working. Mrs. Hemmings sat down a bowl of cut strawberries for the two and left to go to the store. Oddly enough, Chloe felt uncomfortable, whether it was because of the amount of homework she had or that she was feeling ill, she couldn't decide. Luke noticed Chloe's odd look and asked if she was feeling alright.

"Yeah, I'm okay. It's just my stomach. I'm fine." Chloe mumbled. She proceeded to get back to work, but that didn't give Luke the satisfaction he needed. He needed to know she was okay.

Later during the work session, Chloe noticed she was hurting more than usual in her stomach. Sharp and quick or long and drawn-out pains attacked her. The girl yelped in agony when she was struck with these cramps. Luke took notice and put his work down, his main focus was his friend being hurt.

He bombarded her with questions and she explained that it was her stomach and she was feeling nauseous. Luke stood up to walk her to the bathroom, only to notice a pool of red on the Hemmings' white couch.

Chloe and Luke started panicking. She knew that this was her period, but her problem was that it was that the couch was ruined. Thoughts raced through her head and she began to plan out how she would repay the family for the loss of their beautiful white couch! She'll have to get a job, give them all of her money earned, and still go to school! All at the age of eleven! Of course, these thoughts were unrealistic, but what else could a panicked eleven year old think of?