Chapter 8

Aubrey sighed as she looked in the mirror staring at her reflection, the happiness that bubbled over as she stared at the mark on her neck was indescribable. It had been a few days since their mating and she was still floating on the mating high. Today a barbecue was being held by the previous Alphas as all three of their children had found their mates. In all the excitement of meeting Isabella, Aubrey had forgotten that her mates older brothers had met their mates as well. Today would be the announcement over which of the brothers would be the true alpha of the pack through trial by combat. Would the victor be DImitrti the hot-headed twin or Damon the more rational twin? 

"We won't know till we get there will we, now get your pretty ass out here" Isabella growled from outside the bathroom before chuckling to herself. 

"Alright, alright, I'm coming" Aubrey giggled as she opened the door beaming at her mate as she noticed the mating mark on Isabella's neck as well as the near purple hickeys on both sides. 

"Shall we go, my love, even though I'd love nothing more than to ravage you again?" Isabella groaned as her eyes spotted Aubrey's mark and other marks of claim on her mate's neck.

"I hope this honeymoon phase lasts a little longer" Aubrey laughed as she grabbed Isabella by the hand and pulled her down the stairs into the kitchen where the previous alpha female was waiting. 

"Me and you both" Isabella mumbled to herself though Aubrey heard it and a grin overtook her features. 

"It's good to see you girls, your father just left. Let's head on after him I expect the entire pack to be gathered by now" Jasmine smiled the warmth of a mother figure was making Aubrey miss her mother and her younger sister. 

"Which of them do you think will become the alpha," Isabella asked her mother only for the older woman to grin mischievously. 

Sometimes Aubrey thought the previous alpha female to be just as young as they are younger. The powerful she-wolf had aged remarkably well. Aubrey Knew the woman to have wisdom beyond her years and now that she has been officially welcomed as a member of the Frostfang pack Aubrey wanted to absorb as much of the alphas wisdom as she could.  

Aubrey grinned as Isabella refused to let go of her hand as they headed to the packhouse. As they made the journey Aubrey breathed in deeply the scents surrounding her freeing and comforting. Nature, the pack and the soft smell of grilling food was something that Aubrey's wolf enjoyed and let out a growl of application as it pushed past her lips. 

"Hmmm, I love when you make that sound" Isabella groaned the slightly taller female's eyes sparking with restrained desire causing a blush to light up on Aubrey's cheeks. 

"Thank you" Aubrey whispered a nervous giggle leaving her lips dry as her mind raced with dirty thoughts. 

"Girls, can you behave until later" Jasmine chuckled shaking her head in exhaustion though the smile never left her face. 

When they reached their destination Jasmine left in search of Elijah leaving Aubrey alone with Isabella to greet the pack members. Aubrey was nearly dizzy as names and faces came one after another as the pack introduced themselves. Though in time Aubrey knew that she would come to know them better soon. And as that thought crossed her mind she spotted Harper stuffing her face while Justin just looked at his mate with a fond smile.

"Shall we go greet them?" Isabella asked when she noticed the direction of Aubrey's gaze. 

"Yeah, I wanna thank them for the beach trip" Aubrey responded already being pulled towards the beta and her mate by Isabella. 

When they got closer Aubrey had to stifle a laugh as Harper grabbed a big steak with her teeth only to shake it in front of Justin. His wolf's instincts taking over and him biting onto the meat too and then playing tug of war like they would if they were in wolf form. It was a sight to see two werewolves in what some would call their more civilised forms fighting over a steak with their teeth. 

"Hi guys" Isabella exclaimed causing both parties to let go of the steak and jump back. 

This time Aubrey didn't hold back her laughter as Harper recovered quickly and looked on proudly while Justin appeared embarrassed a dark blush on his cheeks blending in with the blood on his jaw. They truly were a couple that liked to have fun.

"So what brings you over here" Justin questioned while clearing his throat and wiping his chin with the back of his hand. 

"Aubrey has something she wants to say" Isabella replied pushing her mate forward with an encouraging smile. 

"Yeah" Harper encouraged as she wiped the blood away from her own face as she stared at the meat that had fallen onto the table.

"Thank you for what you did for us at the beach the other day" Aubrey spoke the nervousness she was feeling slipping into her voice. 

"Oh sweety anytime, we can't let this one go on a homicidal killing spree every time someone insults you" Harper soothed before pointing at Isabella with an accusing finger. 

"I..."

But before Isabella could defend herself an announcement went through the pack mind link. "Gather around the challenge arena the next alpha will be decided when one submits to the other" The announcer like voice was that of Brendons Harper's father. 

Aubrey found herself pushed to the front where both Isabella's brothers and their mates stood. The brother's mates were gorgeous. Dimitri's mate a beta with raven hair so black it looked like ink, her eyes the most piercing of green, she displayed her mating mark proudly with a low neck top. The mark contrasting beautifully with her porcelain skin. Damon's mate was no less beautiful her skin rich mahogany the only clear mark on her was her mating mark, her hair curled in a wild afro of black curls, her eyes were striking though. Aubrey didn't know that black werewolves could possess grey or clear eyes. She was an alpha female her strength hiding behind her light eyes. 

"Everyone but the alpha's fighting please clear the stage" Brendon shouted his voice still holding onto the power and authority he had had in his youth. 

"As my sons, I wish you both luck and know that even though one of you will come away from this alpha of the pack, you are both worthy alpha's in my eyes" Jasmine spoke from the side earning a nod from both brothers. 

"Good luck boys, and do your best" Elijah offered, grinning through the inner turmoil he was facing now that his two firstborn sons were doing a trial by combat. 

"The rules are as follows. You must not kill your opponent, the fight ends when one party submits to the other. You may begin" 

As the last words of the ritually were spoken Aubrey took a step back as both brothers let go of their aura's and got serious. The fight started with them as men with punches, kicks, grapples and dodges neither giving an inch on the other. When they had grown bored of fighting without their teeth and claws they shifted. Instantly the atmosphere became more dangerous. Due to the fact, both brothers had black fur Aubrey could not tell who was winning as they tumbled and fought in a blur of black fur and white gnashing teeth. Until one pinned the other jaws around his throat until he submitted. As the brother on the ground gave up his ears when flat and his tail tucked in a sign of submission, while the brother standing raised his tail high in a dominating posture. 

The leader had been decided. When the brothers shifted back Aubrey gasped in surprise. The brother that had won was Damon the less aggressive of the brothers. 

"Our new Alpha ladies and gentlemen Damon Frostfang" Brendon exclaimed causing the entire crowd started screaming and cheering.

Aubrey ignored them all, her eyes were still fixed on the two brothers who smiled at each other as if they had known this would be the outcome all along. Damon helped Dimitri up shaking his hand in the process before pulling his mate in for a congratulatory hug. The bond of brothers was remarkable. And as both go to their feet their mates ran to them. The women couldn't be more different but in Aubrey's eyes that made them both beautiful. She couldn't wait to learn their names and get to know them. 

I introduced two new characters in this chapter, Damon's mate the black alpha she-wolf and Dimitris mate the porcelain-skinned white beta she-wolf.  I will be taking suggestions for their names before I decide what to name them.