Untitled Part 6

Ghost Hunt:Volume 6 Chapter 5ContentsChapter 5 - []1[]

I stood in the cave, vacantly watching the waves crash against the rocks at the entrance. Small orbs of light were also crashing along with the waves. It looked like snow.

...ah, I'm dreaming again...

A figure appeared among the waves. It was a woman. She was walking solemnly. With her head bowed and shoulders drooped.

"Nao-san..."

Nao-san, who had finally reached the cave, walked quietly as if she didn't notice me and exited towards the cove.

"Wait, Nao-san."

Upon exiting to the cove, Nao-san was taken in by the wind and blown up towards the sky.

I released a single sigh and looked back behind me. The small shrine was visible. It appeared distorted again. It gave off a very unpleasant atmosphere. I wondered if I should try to get nearer, however, I absolutely couldn't bring myself to do such a thing.

I vacantly watched the shrine for a while. And then, when my gaze returned to the sea, Nao-san once again entered my vision as she entered the cave from there.

"...Nao-san?"

She did not reply. When I rushed towards her, she unexpectedly flew away as if gently pushed by the wind. Without even shifting her gaze, she went out to the cove, then she was blown up towards the sky again. When I waited for a while, she emerged from the sea again. She repeated this over and over.

"...what?"

I wondered what was going on.

"What is she doing? Please tell me. —Naru! Why aren't you here!?"

"Rebirth ritual."

A voice suddenly came from behind. When I looked back, Naru was smiling.

...what!? If I call him, I'll see him? I thought something like that.

"Rebirth ritual?"

"I think that's probably so. Passing through a dark hole signifies being reborn once more. Although she's passing through this cave over and over like that, I think she's trying to change her nature into something different."

...something different...

"This cave is summoning souls. A soul that's summoned like that repeats the ritual. I understand it to that extent, but..."

"I'm a soul right now, aren't I?"

Oh no, oh no, oh no! I don't have to participate in that ritual, do I?

"That's right. Therefore, it's best not to get too close to here... let's go."

Naru held out his hand. I took his hand a little nervously. Unfortunately, I didn't feel anything. Naturally, it was because I currently didn't have a body. When he pulled my hand, we rode on a short breeze and soared to the top of the cove like surfacing from the water.

"Hey, Naru?"

'Hmm?' he asked as he gently directed his gaze toward me.

"Before, you told me you showed me the direction of the dream, right? Was it also like that all the way until now?"

There was no reply to this. He simply smiled softly.

Wispy lights floated up from the cove one after another.

"Mai..."

"What?"

I looked back when I was called, but there wasn't anyone there.