𝐁𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫

It was a very happy day for me. After all I was finally visiting my aunt’s place after almost four years. We were in contact through phone calls and messages over these years but the excitement of seeing her made my heart flutter with happiness. My aunt has always been my secret sharer. Whatever happened in my life, I could share it to her without any hesitation. And she never scolded me for my mistakes, rather, she made me understand it in the politest ever way.

My eyes shone bright as her big house came into my view. Our car slid under the car shade and we, I and my parents, got down. I hurriedly went inside to meet her to only see her talking to someone whom I have never seen before. I stopped at the door step and kept looking at the man and my aunt from some distance. Mother came from back and as I turned to see her, I could see a big smile over her face.

“Paarijaat?” my mother called aloud in excitement.

Aunt and that man turned towards us listening to my mother and a warm smile got spread over their face.

“Candy sister? How are you?” that man smilingly came forward and asked.

“I am good, what about you?” mom asked.

“As always, very good”

“How is Leena?” was my mother’s next question.

“She is good too”

The questionnaire round kept on extending and I started to get bored. Moreover, I was feeling hungry but I wasn’t sure about sharing the feeling at that moment. Probably aunt understood it and came forward and held my hand.

“Little doll, come here” she said as she took me inside the room “how are you?” she asked next.

“Aunt” I went near my aunt’s ear and whispered, she gave a nod and kept listening “who is this man?”

She then looked straight into my eyes and smiled.

“I would tell you about him but at first come get freshened up and have something. You came from far so you might be hungry. Come with me” saying so, aunt took me inside to a room that she has set up for me.

I hurriedly took bath and changed my clothes as my curiosity only increased as the time passed. After getting dressed up in relaxing clothes I went out to see that aunt has made my favourite mixed vegetable roll and seeing that my curiosity ran away from my mind for some time. I happily started to savour the best vegetable roll available on the earth and aunt started to narrate about that man.

“That man has been my best friend, all my life” without saying anything I only kept on listening to aunt and she kept on saying “he and I, we met in college. I was very much famous in my college because of my presence in every programs held by our college. I used to either take part or become a part of organizer team. And he was the part of student leader team of our college. He was that rowdy kind of boy, who only listened to himself, hardly attended any class and always stayed ready for protests of any issue. The cultural committee and members of student leader team always worked together so all of us grew close as time passed. I and Paarijaat, that man” she pointed towards the man who was still talking to my mother and continued saying “became very close friends. Since we both were in the same class, our friendship was forever discussed off. Many thought us to be in relationship but I understood the meaning of pure friendship only after meeting him”

I looked into my aunt’s eyes. Her eyes were shining as she narrated rest of the story that I never heard before.

“TWENTY YEARS AGO

It was the annual day of our college and the last annual day celebration for me in which I took part in the drama and welcome dance. I was getting ready along with all other girls when suddenly Paari came in inside the class, which has become makeup room for the girls that day. All other girls grew uncomfortable and kept on looking at both of us until I walked out with Paari. My makeup was half done.