Chapter 4

I couldn't get that night's events out of my mind. Why would someone save us but then leave us here? It has been three days since then. I've gotten better at keeping track. Merissa woke up two days ago, finally. I was beginning to think there was something seriously wrong with her. Yesterday, I got a response to my note. I sat propped up against the wall with one leg pulled up to my chest and one sprawled out in front of me, I read the note in my head another time:

Dress up? Oh, I'm sorry. Are the clothes not to your liking? By all means, tell me what you prefer. By the way, Cranberry juice builds up the strength in your blood. And please, do not write with your blood. Isn't that painful? I don't want you in pain. I'm sorry Arden.

P.S. here's a pen, I repeat do not use your blood. It's... tempting...

Once again, the note was written in perfect script, each letter connected and flowing. It was as if someone had practiced it for many years. My mind drifted back to the note, I still hadn't responded. He was probably waiting for an answer. Oh, yeah, since the 'rescue' I have concluded that it is a guy. I don't know why, but I get that feeling. I also have some familiar feeling when ever I think 'he' is around. I feel like he was being familiar with me, friendly even. I felt like maybe he thought this was a game. Sometimes, his tone seems flirty or playful even. I dont know why. And... what did he mean he didn't want me in pain? He kidnapped me! And what did he mean "It's tempting" It creeped me out.

"What's that?" Merissa asked groggily beside me. She had just woken up and was now reading the note over my shoulder. I crumpled up the note and threw it across the room.

"Nothing" I replied curtly. I didnt want her to know I was now pen pals with our captor. She had enough to panic about. I would answer him later. "Why don't you get changed while I get out the food?" I said with a fake smile plastered to my face.

She sighed and dragged herself off the floor. When she was in the 'bathroom' door way she said "you can't fool me Arden. I know when something's up." I didn't respond. I didn't feel like arguing today, instead, I pulled out the food. Today, it was a grilled steak sandwich with lays potato chips for Merissa, which was her favorite. For me, it was Sesame chicken and Lo mein, which was my favorite. I don't know how he knew these things, but I wasn't complaining. I can't remember the last time I had chinese food. I immediatley dug into the food. It was amazing, maybe the best chinese food I have ever had. I continued to warf the food down when I heard Merissa chuckle as she plopped onto the ground beside me.

"Try breathing Arden, it helps" she chuckled.

I hit her lightly in the arm and I could see her wince but she quickly covered it up. Every night, almost in a pattern, a pair of people would come down stairs. If I was ever awake, I would black out as soon as they noticed me. Except for the one time they were interrupted. But every night, they do something to us. I still have no idea what it is though. We always wake up with the puncture wounds or bite marks. Merissa usually has a lot more than me. It's almost as if they're saving me for something. She always looks like shes in pain, I can always tell and my heart breaks everytime I look at her. I passed her two advil and a water. "Here, 'it helps'' I said the last bit half mockingly, it usually did help with the pain. I downed my two pills and finished the food.

I got up and Merissa smiled at me as she continued picking at her food. I walked into the bathroom and stripped of my clothes. Today I had, a long grey sweater and a pair of black leggings. I left my hair down today and looked into the mirror. My face has grown paler, if that's even possible. I had a small cut on my cheek and one above my brow. There was dirt under my nails. I just felt dirty in general. I guess that's what you would expect from being in a cellar for what i'm assuming is a month. Hopefully it's only been that long and there are still people looking for us.

I blankly stared at myself in the mirror, dazed. What if they had stopped looking for us, no one would think to look for us all the way out here. Where here even is. No one knew where we were going that night. We were too stupid to think of telling anyone. I should have told Andrew, my brother. I always trusted him. I told him everything, literally everything, all of my secrets. We were that close. He's turning twenty one in what I think is two weeks and going back to college in a month. What if I never see him again. What if I never see him become the man I always knew he would be. He is going to study to be a doctor, he's going to save lives. He would be, will be -you are the one whos gonna die here, come on, keep it together Arden, I thought to my self- an amazing doctor, an amazing person. He already is an amazing person. He will probably marry his girlfriend Theresa after college. She was super nice, beautiful, perfect. Everything my brother deserves. She's studying to be a therapist. Which is good, because I always felt that I could talk to her about things aswell. She was really easy going and bubbly, but serious and thoughtful when she needed to be.
Thinking about my family brought a tear streaming down my cheek. I swiped it away and walked out of the bathroom, blocking everything out of my mind. I will get out of here, I'm going to make sure of it.

;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;
Hi everyone!
How are you guys?
How do you think the story is going so far? Should I update more often?

By the way, if you would like to be a character in either this story or one of my other ones, message me. Give me a description of what you or your character would look like, personality, interests, and a name. Be creative, if you don't want to use your own information.

Also, if anyone wants to make a new cast picture or just a picture for the story in general, please message me. I would dedicate a chapter to you and give you a shoutout.

Hope you guys are having a great day(or night, depending on where you live :) )!
Bye :)