Chapter 4

A/N: at the side is her wedding dress. She wantec to make a difference and wear blue. I'm sorry I didn't update. Really sorry. Right now if my mother sees me, I'm dead. Like I have exam and I'm updating. She'd probably seize my phone and then I won't upload until like next year. But don't worry I'm too smart to let her catch me☺

****************
"No, you're not."
"Yes, Isabel. I'm going to marry Jake."
  Isabel's green eyes turned murky. "I knew it. You lied to me on the phone. You're in love with him."
Rowena looked at her clasped hands, away from Isabel's accusing eyes. "Yes."
It was the first time she'd admitted it to anyone but herself. The first time she'd said the words out loud.
     It felt right… and scared her more than jumping off the parapet of palace's medieval wall.
"This is rather sudden, isn't it?" Isabel asked.
"Yes, I guess it is." Rowena felt disloyal, not telling Isabel the reason for the quick wedding, but even Isabel had needed to believe the marriage was sincere. "We didn't see any reason to wait."
"Not even a week? Two?"
Rowena lifted her shoulder. "Why?"
"To give me time to plan something nice."
"To give you time to talk me out of it, you mean."
Isabel leaned forward and took Rowena's hand. "Are you sure you know what you're doing? You might think you're in love, Rowena, but you thought you were in love once before. You never did tell me what happened to make Heinrich leave so suddenly and never come back. I've heard things but…"

       Rowena ignored Isabel's not-too-subtle hint. She'd never been able to tell anyone about the humiliating experience with Heinrich. Not even her best friend, Isabel.
       Now she was marrying another prince. Would Jake see her the way Heinrich did? Common and frigid? That fear, as much as anything, was why she refused to have a real marriage with Jake. Her voice was shaky as she said,  "of course I'm sure. I… love Jake. And I love Sammy. What more could I want?"
Isabel searched her face for a long, long moment. "All right, Rowena. You're my best friend, so I have to believe you." Her eyes teared. "I guess part of my fear is I hate to lose you."
           Rowena began to cry, too, and reached for Isabel. "You're not losing me. I'm getting married, that's all. I'll still be around, though he's not going to let me continue as your lady-in-waiting. But you'll be doing the same thinoneof of these days."
"Yes, but will i love him the way you love Jake?"
"Of course you will."
Isabel sighed. "I wish you happily ever after, Rowena."
Rowena hugged her best friend tighter, so that Isabel couldn't see the fear in her eyes.

*************
********************

"Don't look so frightened" Jake whispered as he took her hand at the halter of the Royal chapel.
Their families sorrounded them. Sammy stood right beside them, his small hands bearing a pillow with hastily purchased rings. Rowena's father sat in the front pewbeside Queen Josephine. Members of the Royal family, including Luke, were scattered across the first two rows.
      Isabel stood up with Rowena as her maid of honour. Jake's father served as his best man. Jake squeezed her hand. "Brides are supposed to be happy, remeRowenaRowena curved her lips. "Is this better?"
Jake grimaced. "No."
"Dearly beloved…"
They turned to face the priest.
Despite the weight of her mother's silk blue wedding gown, Rowena shivered in the coolness of the stone chapel, renowned for it's marble angels. She felt their cold, lifeless eyes boring into her, accusing her of marrying this man under false pretenses… a man she knew didn't love her.
  But I have my reasons, Rowena's mind whispered to the angels.
Though she didn't believe in happily ever after, Jake did. Perhaps if she was with him long enough, she'd start believing in it again, too, as she had when she was a little girl - the years she believed were the happiest of her life.
      She wanted to be a part of Jake's happily ever after. And Sammy's too. If only she could forget that Jake didn't love her. If only she could forget that she was guilty of lies and betrayal as his first wife, whom he now despised for those very reasons.
       Even though she agreed to work hand-in-hand with Jake , even though she'd said she would share with him all information about the investigation she came across, Rowena hadn't told him about the key she'd stolen so Isabel could search his apartment, or about what she'd found.
     Even though Rowena believed with all her heart that Jake was innocent, she hadn't hadn't told him that Isabel was on their side, but that was only true in a limited sense.
"…to love, honour and cherish…"
Jake's strong, deep voice echoed down the stone walls, broken by marble angles and arched columns. He sounded so convincing.
       Even Isabel had admitted in the last two days that he seemed very much in love. When he was close by, he was never far from Rowena, touching her, holding her hand. He was soliticious of her welfare, and adamantly against her running errands, glaring at anyone who suggested it until they backed down.
        In contrast, Rowena's vows, when she repeated them, hid in the corners of the sanctuary.
        Jake slipped a heavy, diamond-studded ring on her finger, then lifted her veil and kissed her.

                                  HAPPILY EVER AFTER HAD BEGUN.

A/N: Ya miss me? And that thing on her head in her wedding is awesome. For those of you that know Nicki Minaj and like her, that was gotten from Nicki Minaj ft. Drake Moment 4 life. Some of you may already know that too. If it was me reading, I'd know. It's my freakin' best song!!!!!! ☺.
Love y'all and miss you already. Bye!!!!!!!!✌