iii. No, Nova!

CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE.
no, nova!

     "UM," SAYS PETER

"UM," SAYS PETER. He looks at Ned over on his left — who's looking back and forth between Nova and Peter with a slightly surprised face. Nova feels like an idiot. Here she is, the fastest person in the world, not being the fastest person in the world — and waiting on a nerd to say 'yes,' to her asking him to tutor her. She wants to throw something. Why can't life be more like a movie? It's forever and a century until Peter finally turns back around to face Nova. Or maybe it just feels like that since they move at normal people speed — and she's used to moving at — you know — her speed. "OK," he says.

Nova smiles at him. "Great," she says. "We can meet at my house today. Anytime after five works for me. Does that work for you? OK, um — just drop by whenever you can. I'll text you my address. And speaking of, I need your number, actually."

     Peter frowns for a moment before softly shaking his head like he's clearing his thoughts. "Um, sure, OK," he says.

     The coach's whistle blows and everyone stops running. They all line up against the far left wall and Peter pulls out his phone. He hands it to Nova and she takes it, putting his number into hers. 

It sucks a little, she'll be honest. This whole "asking for help thing" isn't really — her thing. But you know what sucks even more? Not being able to function like a normal human being, when she's worked so hard to be one, without her bionics. That's what sucks. And the first step to not being so dependent on her bionics? Getting tutored for her least favourite class ever — physics. (Ugh, even just thinking about it gives her a migraine.)

But seriously. If Nova's gonna have any sort of future in the normal people world, she's got to be doing somewhat decent in all of her classes. Not just most of them. Like, she's just barely passing all of her classes with either a C or a B (maybe a D, too?) but she's straight-up failing physics. And yeah, sure, sitting next to Peter Parker might help.