Chapter 3| Twice bitten

Chapter 3: Twice bitten

Tracy

The loud blare of Naira Marley's songs filled the car and the upbeat tempo got Christopher and I grooving along. I was not that much of a fan of the artist but he happened to be one of Christopher's favorite for some reason and I had to admit, the songs were quite catchy. The worst part of it all or rather, hilarious, was Christopher's terrible, terrible voice as he sang totally out of tune, giving the professional artiste that I was, an ear bleed.

Recovering from my laughter after watching him go mentally senile all by himself while driving, I shook my head and sighed as if telling myself that I've seen enough of life to crave plucking my eyes out.

"Now I can literally see how much of polar opposites we are. My God, you do realize you sound like a dying witch right?" I questioned the weirdo.

"Yes, human." he replied smugly.

"Human?"

"You called me your god, didn't you?" he glanced at me and winked before turning down the volume of the radio.

"You wish."

"The correct pronoun is I." he retorted cheekily, and my grimace deepened. "And opposites attract, don't they?"

"We're not magnets, now stop being cocky." I sassed and returned to my phone.

"O... kay." he drawled and whispered. "Sassy miss."

I was looking up my posts on Instagram and under the video of Christopher's prank of leaving the country for England which got a couple of hundred thousand views when a recent comment caught my eye. It was a fan saying she loved my music and she loved and supported the chriscy ship but for the prank he pulled on me, she wanted to see my own revenge prank on him.

Frankly, I haven't had the time to play a prank on Christopher or even think of pulling one. He came to visit me in Lagos quite often and he pulled a fast one on me a couple of times but that was just about it. And I felt it was a very good idea from this Instagram user to consider getting him back. I've thought up a few ideas myself on that cruel prank of his but being a recording artiste had been keeping me preoccupied. The fact that he got a double win off of me yesterday already got me thinking and this time, I was considering getting it on camera too.

Speaking of which, I was still so giddy about last night as it was something I've never done and it felt rewarding that I got down on my knees for him just because I loved him. The night ended well, we eventually slept off after a few giggles from both ends which was something we did often, laughing for no particular reason that is. It was definitely comical for a witnessing third party.

Early this morning, we were in high spirits till we left Richard's place for Lagos and thankfully, my clothes were dry so I could stuff myself back into my jeans and hoodie for this hasty trip because we couldn't wait another minute to leave for my place. My only worry now was Christopher having a nightmare and fearfully mumbling incoherent words in his sleep. I remembered I woke up in the middle of the night the minute he started tossing a lot and because it was dark in the room, I had to reach around for him to feel how sweaty he was.

It was alarming seeing him that way and when he didn't respond to the few times I called out his name, I had shushed and petted him back to a quiet sleep with a palm on his heaving chest. Everything was getting to me now and well, I didn't know how frequent he got nightmares as every other person but dots were getting connected and hell, I've been telling myself it was all in my imagination but I sensed there was something I was missing out on.

I shook away the thoughts just as Christopher cursed irritably at the incoming vehicle that overtook a bus by swerving into our lane and back but almost colliding with us in the process.