Chapter One

the fault in my stars
two hundred and eighteen days. it's been two hundred and eighteen days since the great love of my life augustus waters departed this reality. two hundred and eighteen days since my life stopped. in those two hundred and eighteen days my cancer, much reflecting my mood, got aggressively worse. the pack of cigarettes on my hospital bedside table has been the only think keeping me going. but i had a cancer team meeting with doctor maria. and, since i am seventeen now and can legally make informed medical decisions about my own cancer treatment, i decided i was going Somewhere. in short, i told dr maria i'm not taking Planaxifor anymore. i wish to be reunited with augustus waters, because two hundred and eighteen days is far too long without him. needless to say my parents were not best pleased, so i wrote them a note; an explanation as to why i have chosen a long and painful suicide to be reunited with the love of my life in Somewhere. essentially i told them that i, hazel grace lancaster am on a road that is only going down. a road i don't wish to continue driving on and am slowly veering off this metaphorical road. i explained that this metaphorical car accident will lead me to be reunited with gus and, inevitably, peter van houten. now, reader, please do not think for one moment the reason i am partaking in this car accidents for peter van houten, who died from the excessive alcohol he polluted his asshole body and twisted mind with. but i had to get my point across, therefore i did mention him. my mom and i sat down and had our own cancer team meeting, and she explained 'everything i had to live for' and 'my excellent potential that dr maria believes i have' but truthfully i am past the point of convincing. i look at her sometimes and see a woman that i am about to put through unbearable pain and misery, because although having cancer sucks, having a kid bite it from cancer sucks more. augustus waters, i later realised was a distraction as while my epic love story with gus was unfolding, i still got terrible, stabbing lung pains that i pushed aside. after gus' passing i went to hospital about these pains, part of me suspected i was dying of a broken heart. i was in fact not, although that would have been romantic. i had a routine PET scan. reader, i lit up like a christmas tree. lung, heart, blood, and an impressively large tumour in my whole left leg.