Chapter Seven

“My God, Amber. You look absolutely stunning.”

Thank Goodness, Jake and I finally made it inside the Evans mansion. The paparazzi were awful as usual.

“When is the Wedding?”

“For how long have you been engaged?”

“Is it an arranged marriage for business benefits?”

“Are you pregnant Miss Reeves?”

I still don’t believe they had the audacity to ask such questions. Pregnant?!! Are they kidding me?!! Can’t two people get married unless they are expecting a baby or even worse for business benefits?!

“Mom, you promised me it would only be a small engagement party for family and friends not a circus!”

Jake….my very handsome protector Jake. He kept holding my hands all the time not even once leaving it. He was really smart answering all the questions and even managed to make fun of the silly ones without being rude. I guess if I was given the choice I’d have yelled at every single provocative question.  

“Well, you know your mother Jake. This is what I call a small party. If it were for me, I’d have invited the president himself.”

I couldn’t say anything but smile at Matilda. She had the greatest enthusiasm ever whenever it involves throwing a party.

“Thank you Matilda for everything. It’s a very beautiful party.”

“You are welcome honey. God, you look like a princess. This gown looks wonderful on you.”

I looked down at my indeed very beautiful blue gown. It’s a floor-length strapless gown that hugged each curve I have. This morning Jake gave it to me. He told me when he first laid eyes on the gown, he couldn’t see anyone but me wearing it and kept hiding it away from me waiting for the suitable time to give it to me.

“Actually Jake bought this gown for me.”

“WOW Jake. You must have taken after my excellent taste of fashion. When did you buy it? I only told you yesterday about the party.”

“I bought it the same day I bought the ring which was about 4 weeks ago.”

What?!! Four weeks ago. We only got engaged a week ago.

“But you’ve been engaged for only a week now or were you two hiding it away from me?”

It seems that Matilda was reading my mind right now.
I looked at Jake who at this moment has a beautiful grin on his face.

“No mom we got engaged only a week ago. I was just waiting for the perfect moment to propose. You know that Amber’s parents were out of town the past three months and I wanted to have her father’s consent first before I propose to her.”

My jaw dropped upon hearing that.

“You asked for my father’s consent before proposing to me? I didn’t know about that.”

“I guess I’m an old-fashioned man.” And just like that Jake looked me in the eye then gave me the sweetest kiss ever. That’s what I call bliss.

“Ohh look at you two. Aren’t you adorable?”

Jake and I broke from our sweet kiss to look at a very beaming Rose.

“Hey Rose. I’ve missed you a lot little sis.”

Jake gave Rose a brotherly hug which made her beam even more.

“Jake, you are crushing me and stop calling me little sis. I’m not young anymore.”

Rose got out of Jake’s embrace and came to hug me now.

“Rose, I’m the one being crushed now.”

She giggled and then said, “I’m just so happy for the both of you.”

Rose has always been a ball of energy. At the age of twenty one, she is still capable of spreading happiness and laughter whenever she goes. She has a long beautiful blonde hair and a beautiful pair of brown hazel eyes. The Evans adopted her when she was only two. Jake told me that Matilda has always dreamed of having a daughter but she had a problem conceiving after his birth. That’s why the Evans adopted Rose.

“That’s enough Rose. You still have the rest of the night to show your happiness for them.”

Calm down Amber. Take a deep breath and calm down, it won’t be the last time you’ll have to endure Jake’s father’s lovely comments.

“Mr. Evans, thank you so much for throwing this beautiful party for Jake and me.”

“It wasn’t me dear Amber, it was all Matilda. Throwing parties isn’t actually my thing.”

Can’t this man take a compliment for once in his life?!  Thank Goodness Jake didn’t take after his horrible attitude not to mention this dangerous aroma that always surrounds him.

“Dad, it would be very nice if you congratulated Amber and me, don’t you think?”

I almost forgot I wasn’t alone with Mr. Evans. Whenever he’s around I’ve got to be completely on guard that I forget where I am and who I’m with.

“Congratulations to the both of you and you know what Jake… you actually arrived at a perfect time. All of the board, including your father Amber, is here tonight and we were discussing this Japanese business deal. Come on, we need your opinion.”

“Reed honey, it’s their engagement party. Can’t my poor Jake have some rest from work and enjoy his time with Amber?”

Thank you, Matilda. I really don’t know how you stand this man.

“They have the rest of the night and always remember, if it wasn’t for business we would have never been able to enjoy throwing beautiful parties like these. Come on now, Jake. The board has been waiting for enough time.”

I heard Jake’s sigh and knew right away what this has to mean.

“I’m sorry, Amber. I’ll be back in thirty minutes tops and I’ll bring your father along with me. I promise it won’t take long.”

I felt Jake kiss on my cheek and heard him whisper I love you. And just like that he was gone with his evil father.

“Come on now Amber, let’s party. It’s your engagement!” exclaimed Rose.

“Yes. You both go have some fun and don’t worry my dear Amber… you’ll have Jake for the rest of your life.” Matilda winked at me and left me alone with a very hyper Rose.

“And now it’s finally party time with my soon to be sister in law.”

And before I could even utter a word I was dragged by Rose through the many, many guests who kept on smiling and congratulating me but there was especially one guest who I couldn’t wait to see his smile and twinkling emerald eyes………Nathaniel Richards.