Chapter 1:

Just remember, no matter how many times we fight, I would do anything for you, Lonnie. I love you, sleep well.

That was the last thing my father said to me.

Well, that night I did sleep well only to have one rude awakening. Dad was gone. I fell asleep one night after we had a blowout fight and the next morning he just... disappeared. I practically searched the entire island for him, but there wasn't a single trace of my father. My difficult, stubborn, loving father.

I had so much anger coursing through me the following weeks. How could he just leave his 17 year old daughter all alone? Who does that to their child? Didn't he love me?

The police department said there wasn't much they could do if he didn't leave anything behind clueing into why he left. Which is shitty, I know. He didn't even leave a note?

I thought I would be over it, but it's been three months since then and I'm not. Sure, surfing keeps me distracted, but then I remember the first time Dad taught me to surf when I was six, and I go down a rabbit hole of questions again.

"Hey, Avalon!" I hear a voice bellow from behind me as I strap my surfboard to my ankle.

"Oh. Hi there."

"The beach is closed today, you can't surf right now."

"Says who?" I question the boy in front of me.

"Me. The lifeguard in charge of this beach."

"Rules, right? So... restricting."

"Listen, Av—"

"What if I promise I won't drown? Then will you let me go in?"

"There's a storm coming in."

"I've surfed many a wild waters, sir!"

"I'm serious!" he yells after me as I run into the water. "It's not safe!"

I grab hold of my board and paddle out into the waves before getting my footing and standing, wobbling a little.

"Avalon Grey!" I hear his faint voice yell from behind me. A wave knocks me out, only to pull me under before I gasp for breath in the clear air.

"Seriously, Christian?" I yell at the brunette still watching me on the beach. "I'm fine!"

"I'm not leaving until you come out!"

Feeling defeated, I paddle back onto land and lay in the sand, my hands on my stomach.

"What are you doing?" Christian asks me as he lays next to me, staring up at the sky and then back at me.

"Thinking."

"About your Dad?" he says hesitantly in a whisper. I sigh loudly and face him. "Sorry, that was a shitty thing to say."

"No, it's fine. I've just been pretty lost without him. I mean, I'm only 18. I feel completely alone."

"Well, you're not. That much I can tell you."

I give him a sad smile. "Thanks for... making sure I'm safe, I guess. You're a good neighbor."

"Hold on. Did you just say the words thank you? And to me?"

"Shut up," I giggle.

"Guess today is a day full of miracles."

Christian helps me up and I grab onto my surfboard as we trudge down the beach together.

"Ow! Holy shit!"

"What?"

"I just stepped on a shell and I think it's in my foot," I whine.

"Come with me," he says. "I'll help you out."