chapter three • the cavalry captain and librarian

After running into several hilichurls, (Y/N) had successfully found Kaeya.

"Well," began Kaeya, "you're certainly looking worse for wear."

"Uh, yeah," (Y/N) said. "I ran into some hilichurls."

Kaeya chuckled, "It's alright, you're here in one piece at least."

Paimon pouted, "Oi! You could at least care a bit!"

(Y/N) shook their head, "Paimon it's alright, just — let's go in the temple."

Kaeya and (Y/N), along with Paimon, entered the temple, where just under them, would be hilichurls and shallow water.

"Ah, and this is where I come in handy," Kaeya put his hands on his hips.

(Y/N) blinked a few times out of confusion before Kaeya leapt down and lunged his sword forward creating ice to freeze the hilichurls.

Soon after, (Y/N) did the same course of action. They jumped down, using the glider. They grabbed their sword in hand and followed Kaeya into the next room. There were odd machines spewing out fire nonstop.

"How do we... oh!" (Y/N) thought out loud.

It had been awhile last since they had done this temples in the game.

"I'm assuming you're thinking what I'm thinking?" said Kaeya.

(Y/N) nodded with a reassuring smile.

Kaeya continued to use the same skill that temporarily stopped the fire-spitting machinery. The three sped past the first one and were greeted by a chest, and a few slimes.

"Ergh..." gagged (Y/N).

"Hm? A few slimes are all it takes to stop you?" Kaeya teased.

"W-what — !? No!" (Y/N) recomposed themself and gripped their sword tightly. "I can take them on any day!"

"Confident — I like it," Kaeya smirked.

(Y/N) took a deep breath and swung their sword once, ultimately missing and had swung it so harshly that they had thrown it out of their hands.

Kaeya used his left hand and covered (Y/N), and took out the slimes in one fell swoop.

"And here is your blade," said Kaeya, handing (Y/N) their fallen sword with a quick, subtle wink.

'This... is a lot tougher than it looked,' (Y/N) had made a face when thinking. They furrowed their brows and their eyes looked ahead after opening the chest.

'A common chest...' thought (Y/N).

Kaeya told them, "You can keep the contents, I have no use for them."

(Y/N) nodded while looking for somewhere to put the items. They didn't have a well form of storage, so they decided to take what was most crucial and put them into their pockets.

"A wind current? Let's head up then," informed Kaeya.

"K... Kaeya," said (Y/N).

"Hm? Yes?"

"Sorry for this inconvenience, but — uh — I kind of need help. I'm not exactly sure how to use these wind gliders just yet."

Kaeya let out a small laugh, "Heh, alright, let me assist you."

Kaeya grabbed (Y/N) by the waist and gently thrust them up the direction of the wind current, which proved quite helpful, as (Y/N) was able to glide gracefully, though it was not the same case for the landing. When Kaeya had made it over, he noticed the fallen over Traveler with a few bumps and bruises.