Back Home Again

Dad swiped his face with his hand before glaring at all of us intently. "Okay, come in. All of you, so we'll get back home tonight."

_______________________________

We didn't talk much after Dad picked us up from the road and drove us home. I didn't tell him about the ghosts, or the meeting in the park, or what had happened after that.

I didn't even mention the ghost hunters or drunk patrons, who had almost killed us, I don't think he'd understand if I tried to.

Roy slept through the whole trip, still not letting go of the urn, his head leaning against the car window, as streetlights flashed over us. I wondered if he's in the spirit world, telling his other ghosts about Cody's fate.

"So, you must be new around here? I haven't seen you before." Dad asked, attempting a casual tone to hide his suscpicions, which he always has about people he hasn't met before.

"Oh, no, I've lived here for years, just further away from the main city, so I understand if you haven't met me before." They replied.

"Ah, of course."

"Your son's really brave, y'know that? Not many I know would've gone on such a journey and make it back alive. Leaving your home at midnight with someone you basically just met is something anyone can do, but trusting on each other to go on a perilous journey and face all the dangers together is different. It asks loyalty, courage and an open mind, and I know he's got them all." They told Dad, but I knew they addressed those words to me, even if Dad wouldn't believe it.

"You should be proud of him for that, I know he'll do it again, if needed." They added. To be fair, doing all of this once again wasn't such a tempting idea currently, even if it was for friendship or love or whatever, but I also wouldn't leave my friends alone in their vulnerable moments, when they needed me the most.

Dad was quiet for a moment, before saying "I will be. I'll talk with him, when we get home."

"Good. Also, they both live in the same place, so don't bother going any further than that."

Dad drove on the empty road for half an hour, before turning to a smaller road, until I saw the familiar houses and driveway once again, just the same way as it was, when me and Roy left.

I was relieved to finally be back home, but there was that small part of me, which didn't want to be back at home, that urged to go back on the road with others, and leave this place behind for good.

Dad parked the car on the driveway, got out and opened the door on Roy's side, which caused him to almost fall out of the car. "W-wha..Where are we?" He mumbled while heaving himself upwards, glancing around as if no longer recognising the place we were in.

"You're at home. Get out of the car now." Dad said gruffly, before walking on my side of the car to do the same thing. I suppose he just wanted me to get back home quickly again, so that this will all be over soon.

Roy stood outside of the car, vaguely staring at his home, cradling the urn in his arms like it was a lost puppy, with a heavy sigh. "What am I gonna tell her, Kai? She told me to take care of him, to keep him safe from everyone who'd want to hurt him or me, and now he's- well, you know how he is." He said quietly, his pale eyes glaring into my own, like asking for guidance, or answers, that I didn't have.