Chapter 9

Almost a year later...

"Oh, YangYang, you're so crazy!" yelled Ten, while laughing. You poked your head out of the kitchen and saw YangYang holding the baby on his lap, while making his hands clap and singing that damn Schnappi song. It was adorable and you couldn't help but laugh. It had been almost a full year since the accident, and you were shocked, but grateful, to be alive.

Kun had told you in confidence that YangYang was feeling guilty about the accident since you had gone to buy the ingredients for his cake. It broke your heart to know that your poor judgement in leaving, when you could have asked them to drive you or walk with you, caused all this pain to everyone.

You walked over to sit at the kitchen table. Something was weighing heavily on you, but you couldn't put your finger on it. Ten was acting strange. He was himself with his friends, but around you, he was different. Did he regret having a baby with you? Was he upset about the scare you gave everyone? Was he upset because you were still planning a party for YangYang as if you didn't learn your lesson? Did you stop being beautiful to him after the accident or after having a baby?

Kun walked over to the kitchen and asked why you weren't out there with everyone.

"I'm just looking over the guest list to make sure everyone will be here," you said.

"No," he replied. "Something is up. You're not yourself."

You confided in him about how Ten had been acting, but of course, when everyone went home, they didn't see how he acted.

"It's like he regrets everything now. I don't even think he loves me anymore," you said.

"Trust me, y/n, you and the baby are everything to him. I'll talk to him, ok?"

You nodded and went back to your list.

A couple minutes later, you heard Kun call your name from the living room. You walked out and found everyone ready for movie night. You looked over at Ten and he was laughing with Hendery, and when he looked over in your direction, you made eye contact with him. His eyes were empty. There was no emotion there. You knew that your relationship with Ten was over. You weren't going to show this in front of everyone, though, so you went and sat down on your armchair.

After the movie was over, everyone left and once you'd said goodnight to your friends, you noticed that each one of them patted Ten on the back and then came and kissed you on the cheek. You had never been so terrified in your life. Once that door closed, it was just you, Ten, and the baby.

"Y/n," he said softly, "we need to talk."

Your heart made its way up to your throat, but you took a deep breath and decided to be mature about this conversation rather than blow up.

"Ok," you said, as you walked over to the couch.

"Before I begin, I love you with all my heart, and I don't know how to do this. I'm scared and nervous. It's why I've been sodistant." His eyes started filling up with tears. "When you were in the hospital, all those machines hooked up to you, the doctor telling me you weren't going to make it...I got scared. I said stupid shit to YangYang. I was angry. I didn't know what to do. What to think. What to say. There was one thing I was sure of, and it was that if the universe gave me another chance to be with you, that I would do anything in my power to make you happy. To take care of you."

You were shaking at this point. You thought you were going to throw up. At that moment, he walked up to you, brushed the hair off your face and behind your ear. He placed his hand on your chin, lifted your face up, and smiled at you. He wiped the tears off your eyes, told you how much he loved you, and then he did something you weren't expecting.

He got down on one knee, pulled out a ring, and asked you to spend the rest of your life with him.