chapter thirteen👻

Author's Note: i hope you guys like long chapters! i got a little carried away with this one.

            "What's this?" Bell asked as they entered the café. It was decked out in spooky decorations. Papier mâché masks hung on the walls, and ghosts hung from the ceilings. The lighting was dimmed, and the bulbs were covered in purple shades that covered the whole room in the color. "I don't understand. It's not Halloween yet."

"It's chapter thirteen," Saiki said.

"Oh, I see."

"What? Chapter thirteen?" Nendou said. "What are you guys talking about?"

"Don't worry about it," Saiki said.

"Wouldn't chapter four have been more appropriate? Isn't that more of a scary number in Japanese, since it resembles the word for death?" Bell said.

"The writer didn't think of it, and it would have been too early in the story. Now, stop breaking the fourth wall before you confuse everyone," Saiki said. Bell rolled her eyes but complied.

"Hey, you guys made it!" Hairo said as he walked up to them. "And you were able to get a hold of Saiki and Bell!" Hairo held his hand out to Bell. "We haven't really had a chance to speak yet, I apologize for that. I'm the class rep." Bell smiled and shook his hand. No, they hadn't spoken yet, but she was plenty aware of who he was. Hairo was...energetic, to put it politely. Just looking at him running around and sweating all the time made Bell tired

"It's nice to finally talk to you," she said. "Sorry for missing your call earlier. It's a good thing I was already at Saiki's when these guys came to find him, I would've hated to miss out."

"What was she doing at Saiki's house?!"

The background din of people's thoughts erupted with the sound of Teruhashi's rage. She glanced at Teruhashi, who was sitting at a nearby table. Her face hadn't changed at all. She really was good at being the perfect pretty girl.

"Oh, well I'm glad to hear you haven't had trouble making any friends!" Hairo said.

"Oh, yeah, these guys have been great," she said, looking back at the whole group. "Saiki was just helping me catch up on math." She rubbed the back of her head sheepishly. "It's kind of my worst subject." She cast a sidelong glance at Teruhashi.

"Oh, well if he was just helping her study, that's fine," Teruhashi thought. "He really is kind to help out a new student, isn't he?" Bell let out a relieved breath.

"Yeah," Saiki said. Bell nearly jumped. He rarely ever spoke out around others, especially in group conversations. She looked at him, and her jaw nearly dropped when she saw a smile on his face. Then, he placed his hand on her shoulder. "I think she's getting a better handle on where we're at, though."

Bell couldn't even process Teruhashi's thoughts. It was a jumble of incomprehensible yelling.

"That's the spirit!" Hairo said. "Class three should always be ready to lend each other a hand!" As Hairo led them further in, Bell cast Saiki a sidelong glance.

"You're sick in the head," she said telepathically.

"Consider it payback for not warning me about these guys," he said as they all sat at a table. "Remember what I said about paying attention? Try tuning into Kuboyasu's thoughts." She frowned but did what he said.