Chapter 1

Thomas walked around the halls for the third day of Glader High with Newt one side and Minho the other. They'd become friends immediately. Being room mates it was easy.
They strode down the halls to their next classes before break. Minho was one of the most popular kids in school, henceforth the crowds parted as he walked between them. Thomas, being at the back, found it hard to keep up.

He fell hard, another figure atop him.

She got up, her raven ponytail swooshing around her.

"Sorry..." She mumbled. Thomas looked up at her stunned at her beauty. Her face was a work of art, carved cheekbones and eyes...
Her eyes were a magnificent blue...

"Hello?"

He snapped out of his trance and looked up at the extended hand of hers and took it.

'Thank you..."

She laughed. "You must be the greenie, I'm Teresa"

"Thomas"

"Nice to meet you" she smiled and nodded before continuing her walk down the hallway.

Hysterical laughs were heard.

"Really shank?" Laughed Newt. "That was the funniest thing I've ever seen!"

Minho was making a mimicking gormless face when the bell rang.

"What you got?"

Thomas fumbled for his schedule. "Math, you?"

Newt and Minho speak in sync "Physics..."

Thomas nodded and started walking down the hall. He noticed that it was the way that the girl, Teresa, had walked. Once he got to the math class he sat as far away from the staring wrinkled teacher as he could.

It turned out that three seats away, the mysterious girl from the hallway sat with her face in a book. Thomas laughed. He'd never liked books at all really, but he could see the fascination in her eyes as they swept across the pages.

Before he knew it, she was sitting next to him.

"Just to warn you, she puts us in pairs of boys and girls if she can, and you're stuck with them for the rest of the semester"

"Partners?"

She stopped. "You mean..? Uh sure" she stared at him.

He thought for a second that she was smiling at something to herself, as if her mind was elsware.

He smiled and Teresa sat next to him.

Class started and Mrs Darton squeaked on about how algebra was the most important thing... Thomas didn't really pay attention at all, not that it mattered.When would he use algebra..?

Teresa tapped him with her foot and passed him a slip of folded paper.

He opened it and read:

I swear her voice gets squeaker every
Time I come in this room...

Thomas laughed quietly to himself. He scribbled back to her. They spent the rest of the lesson completing sums they didn't understand and passing stupid remarks back and forth on a crumpled old piece of homework.

Before long the bell rang and break started. They entered the hallway. For the three days before, Newt, Minho and himself had met up with a boy called Alby and a girl called Brenda.

He looked across "you wanna hang out this break?"

She hesitated and seemed to peer over at a group of giggling girls and nodded.

He smiled and they walked to 'The Tree' a gigantic, looming tree in the back of the school.