Prologue

"Vanessa Carmen Martinez-Williams has been pronounced dead. I'm sorry for your loss." 

"No! Mommy's not dead! She's making lasagna tonight like she promised!"

"Ness, let's go."

"She's. Not. Dead! Let me go see her!"

"I'm sorry sweetheart but there's nothing they can do."

"Sh-She promised! She can't be dead!"

"...I'm sorry."

My name is Vanessa Bridgette Williams and I am a mutt

I go by Bridgette and my friends used to call me Ridge.

I had the perfect suburban family. A caring stay-at-home mom, an athletic brother, a hardworking and affectionate dad and me. The beloved, perfect daughter.

When I was 12, on July 9th my mother died of liver failure officially. That didn't fool me though, she drank too much one day and didn't make it. From that moment on, the 'caring stay-at-home mom' was an alcoholic and druggy. Her death sent my father spiriling into ruins, going down the same dark path my mother did. When my brother found his mate, things were finally looking up for us until I found him, high as a ladder when I was only 14. When I was 15, my mother was found out to be cheating, I was the product of an affair with a man who was like me, a mutt. Although I was well off in the friends catagory at first, their parents didn't want them hanging around someone like me.

My name is Vanessa Bridgette Williams and I am alone

Just 6 months later, I was certain I was attracted to females. Apon coming out to my father, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Although he never physically hurt me and my brother before, he had planned to hit me before my brother took the blow for me. Although not knowing why my father had finally resorted to violance, he stood up for me and we escaped that night.

We moved to an apartment in Denver, Colorado where my brother got a job and tried to homeschool me. That didn't work out. When he got a promotion, he was unable to school me at home anymore but he also had the money to send me to public school.

My name is Vanessa Bridgette Williams, I am a mutt.