Chapter 3

Elsie decided to go home earlier than usual, as there was simply too much on her mind to enjoy the serene setting of the park. Her thoughts weren't even of the events of the day, however; but rather of the odd stranger. Who was he? Where did he go?

To answer the latter would be quite simple, of course. Maybe he speed-walked or he just crossed the street and Elsie didn't see him.

She did think she was being quite obsessive, but for some reason she wanted to know. She needed to know. Deep down, she wished she could see him again.

But now she was just being silly. She didn't even know so much as his name and here she was, longing to see him again!

Elsie shook her head in disbelief at her own absurdity.

Before she could think again, however, she was already in front of her house. Yet, there was something off.

Her father's red car was parked in front of the closed garage.

He usually only got back from work around five and when he did, he would always park inside.

Something must have been wrong.

Elsie hurried into the house, only to find him pacing back and forth in the living room, his hair in a completely disheveled state.

"There you are!" he exclaimed when she entered. "Where have you been?"

She could see he looked terribly distressed.

"Dad," she said. "You're home early."

"Yes, Elsie-" he said, stopping himself to breathe in deeply. "Your mother... it's getting worse, Elsie, we have to go there now."

Elsie felt her heart sink. This couldn't be... It shouldn't be! Her mother had promised her she'd be fine, after all! Why was this happening? Why now of all times?

The two of them quickly got into the car and drove as fast as possible. No words were spoken and they sat through the traffic, hundreds of cars rolling along at a steady pace beside and in front of them, in complete silence.

Elsie tried to process the whole situation. She had known her mother wouldn't last much longer, but she had hoped...

Maybe that was the problem. Maybe she shouldn't have hoped. Hope was always what made reality such a hard blow for her; why she still bothered was beyond her.

They finally arrived at the hospital and rushed in.

"We're here to see Mrs Thompson, Angela Thompson." her father said to the receptionist.

She gave them the directions. She had short, blonde hair reaching only slightly past her ears and had a friendly smile she seemed to wear often, judging by her faint laughing lines. Elsie wondered if she'd still smile if she knew.

Elsie and her father raced into the room. They both gasped at the sight.

Elsie's mother had never looked so weak. She seemed to have lost all the colour within her, her once dark luscious hair had become frail and she had become very gaunt, seemingly over night. She lay beneath her blanket with her eyes closed, appearing to be asleep.

"Mr Thompson," said the doctor, who walked in shortly after them. He seemed to present himself quite professionally, with his neatly combed hair, his well trimmed beard and his white coat, fitted well over his broad chest.

"Dr Jones," her father replied gravely. "How bad is it?"

"I'm afraid it's only getting worse."

Her father nodded. "How long?"

"I should guess a week."

Elsie felt tears forming in her eyes. "Is there nothing you can do?"

The doctor looked at her pitifully and said, "I'm afraid not. We've done our best."

He looked back to her father. "It's all in her hands now."

"What... What are the odds?" her father asked, with pain apparent in his voice.

The doctor sighed. "She would need a miracle."

Elsie couldn't bear to hear it anymore. She went over to her mother's bedside.

The doctor led her father outside, to discuss the matter more in detail.

"Mum, please don't die," Elsie pleaded quietly as her tears started streaming down the sides of her face. "I need you."

She wiped her tears away with her hands, but it was no use as the new ones already came flowing.

"I can't do it without you," she went on, in between sniffles. "I'm so alone, mum. And I'm so afraid. I don't know what to do."

Her mother shifted slightly as she opened her eyes.

"Elsie..." she said weakly.

When her mother saw her, a tired smile swept across her face.

"Mum," Elsie said, wiping away her tears.

"Why are you crying?"

Elsie wasn't sure if she should tell her mum. Maybe she already knew, but what if she didn't? That thought only made everything worse, as Elsie could feel her sorrow, that she had tried so hard to swallow, come back up. She broke into incoherent sobs, which she couldn't stop.

Her mother reached for her hand and held it tightly. "Elsie, what's wrong?"

Even speaking sounded as if it drained all the energy out of her mother.

"They said you're going to die, mum!" Elsie blurted.

"Oh, Elsie," her mother said, in more of a whisper than anything else. "You know I'll always be with you. Right there... "

Her mother pushed her hand onto Elsie's chest. "Right there."

Elsie couldn't help but smile at her mother's gentleness. That was something she loved the most about her mother, how optimistic and sweet she was. Her mother had always told her to try and see the best in everyone and everything, because there is always a good side to everything in life and by ignoring it, life would feel more miserable than it should.

Elsie wondered where the good side to her life was. She wondered where the good side to her getting bullied, her having no friends, her strained relationship with her father and, on top of it all, her mother's upcoming death was.

She supposed she wouldn't be finding out any time soon.