Battle Royale (Deserted, Book 1)

My name is Sean Campbell, I'm a sixteen-year-old boy who was abducted by The Broken. The Broken are a group of cursed people. They used to be part of the government and ruled together, then something corrupted them and now they are evil, they abduct one-hundred people each year to fight in a Battle Royale and I was one of them.

I panted as I felt hot air hit my body, I looked back at the stone-faced soldier when he looked like he was going to push me out. I looked at him with pleading eyes and yelled over the loud turbulence, "Please don't make me go out there." He hesitated for one moment, then shoved me out of the plane.

As I fell I felt my heart lurch, I was equipped with a parachute, an empty canteen, purifying pills to purify dirty water and a flashlight. I was in a Battle Royale, each year one hundred teenagers are chosen to compete in this. The winner gets 100,000 dollars and a private island, last year it was a Trio Battle Royale so this one is a squad Battle Royale. I was in Team Catnip, my team name was displayed across my shirt so I could identify my team members. I was about 500 metres to the ground so I pulled my parachute. I saw a girl pull her parachute also but as it opened up it was ripped apart by a flock of nearby birds. I watched the unfortunate soul as she fell to her death and closed my eyes.

As I reached the ground I saw a cutlass and a sling. When I was back home I used to play with a sling, I chuckled at my luck and grabbed it. After about an hour of searching for good rocks I looked up and saw a player countdown, and a timer that said if there are not 50 players left by the end of the week they would kill everybody, our kill count was 89, 11 dead already, I thought to myself. I travelled around a bit and found a stream, used one of my purifying pills and filled up my canteen and sighed in relief as I drank the water. I then trekked up a large hill and sat down underneath a tree.

Then after three minutes or two an arrow thunked right into the side of the tree and I jumped up in surprise and ran behind the tree, I trembled and put a rock into my sling, I left my cutlass in my bag and started to swing my sling to build up power. I jumped out from behind the tree and threw the stone. The person, who I can now identify as a boy was about 70 metres away from me and since I had trained with a sling for so long I actually hit him. He collapsed and was face flat on the floor. I went towards him and saw that he was bleeding from his forehead, I slit his throat with my cutlass and flicked the blood off, I had to be ruthless to survive. I looked at his team name and saw it was the Contriders team, I felt a twinge of guilt as I took his belongings, he had a bow, 18 arrows, a quiver, a full canteen, more pills and another flashlight. I kept walking and saw the body count was at 71, another 18 dead. I saw a litter of bodies in a pile, I wonder who could've caused that much death, I made a mental note to steer clear of this area.

I heard yells and ran towards it, that's when I saw it. It was the best thing that happened to me in this Battle Royale, I saw the team name Catnip and went to assist the girl fighting. My heart started to beat really fast as I feared that she would get killed so I assisted her. She was fighting a pair of people, they had the team name Orchid, I started to swing my sling and use my years of training to hit the first boy. I threw the rock with the sling and hit him in the stomach, he doubled over and gasped in pain. I was aiming at his head but it was better then nothing. I used my bow and tried to finish him but I missed horribly, I forgot how different a sling was to a bow and hit air. Instead I unsheathed my sword and stabbed him in the chest, I saw my teammate use a samurai sword to slash at the other boy, he also used his sword and they collided. I went to help but the girl signalled for me to go behind him which I did, I kicked him in the back and he turned around. That was his mistake, the girl stabbed him in the chest and pulled it back out. Then she turned to me.

I gasped as she held her sword ready and held my hands up in surrender, "I'm on team Catnip like you." I said slowly, then she spoke "I'm thankful that you came to help me but I don't want you to get in my way." She said it in a threatening tone but I couldn't help but hear her harmonizing voice. It was beautiful, "My name's Sean, what's yours?" I said in a joyful voice. "The names Jesse." Even her name sounded wonderful. "Were you looking for our other teammates too?" I asked, "No, I don't wanna bother looking for people that are probably going to bring me down, unlike you luckily." She hissed. Well, I now know who the rough one is. We started to walk towards the middle to claim it. Once we reached the side of the middle we saw a squad of people trying to claim middle. Their competitors were a duo, a gigantic disadvantage for them, but scarily the duo had a rocket launcher! They blew up the squad in less then 5 seconds and I shivered. We were going to fight them. I looked at Jesse and cursed, she looked as scared as I was. "We are doomed." Jesse blatantly stated.