Prologue

I wasn't awake when it happened. My own kidnapping. Instead, I had the weirdest dream.

I went to bed like normal. Forgot to brush my teeth, had some wine, and fell asleep to Bob's Burgers. I had gone out with friends for dinner. I hadn't seen them in so long. Honestly, a great night for me.

I guess it's good I got to see them before.

I dreamed that I was meditating. And I have never dreamed of that before. I was back in the garden with the river and trees. I was waiting for someone to meet me. It was sunny and gorgeous, but then the sun disappeared and the moon rose. A full moon. The most gorgeous I had ever seen. 

And then I sat there a while. Her cool, blue light saturated my olive skin and refreshed it from all the long days spent in the sun. I felt safe and comforted. Not once did I move. I just enjoyed the time. And the longer I sat there, the better I felt. The feeling was like the one you have when you wake up from a nap. Ready, excited, new.

I saw myself open my eyes. I smiled. I looked so different from any photo or any reflection I had ever seen. I got up and walked through the forest. I had never ventured this far. This wasn't my entrance. 

After a short walk, I found myself at the beach.

Why the hell am I here? I though. I don't even like the beach.

I stepped into the water and felt the brisk ripple cover my foot. I felt called to walk forwards. The waves almost waved at me. And then I saw the light. The glow of the algae. I stepped forward faster. Before I realized, I was neck deep in the water. The water was as dark as the night and this brought the fear. I tried to turn around and swim back but the break came and I was swallowed.

That's when I woke up.