BFF's to Lovers

You could say I was a bit of a nerd. I never really did sports or hung out with the jocks, not after coming out as gay. One person I did hang out with was my best friend, Seth. He always knew what to say and do to cheer me up. I guess that the perk of being best friend's since we were in diapers, huh?

One day, during the summer time, Seth and I were hanging out and....I guess you can say he got a little too close, or maybe I actually had the confidence and went for it, whatever the situation, we kissed.

Seth.

Me.

Our lips interlocked and our hands roaming every inch of our neck and hair. I felt loved, confused and even scared. I was not a stranger to straight men using gay men to their advantage, but when I told Seth this fear, he reassured me that that wasn't the case.

Three months pass and Seth and I have gone from kissing to lying in bed panting and cuddling. He never showed me off in public because he wasn't out yet which is understandable. There were times though where he would sneak small kisses, brush our hands together or even hug me tight telling our moms, "Am I not allowed to show my best friend the love and attention his bratty Highness deserves?' This would lead to them laughing while I ran after him for calling me a brat.

It was true, I craved his attention. As much to my dismay, he had football and I had marching practice. We wouldn't see each other until around 9 pm and only when our parents hung out (usually Thursdays was their girl's nights). We would watch horror films and eat popcorn while he would put me on his lap and I would lay to hear his heartbeat. This was always therapeutic with the home life I have with my dad. My mom and dad would fight a lot so Seth would comfort me and we would have our hangouts which meant the world to me.

One day, he said the L word. I had always said it, but never in the one year we had secretly been together did I ever think The Seth Laker would say it back. When he said it, my entire heart bursted with happiness. That night, I gave my virginity to him, my best friend in the entire world. From there, we would find anyway to keep each other close by. I guess, we owed it to our moms for being best friends that we became best friend through their connection.

A year later, we ended things. Internal homophobia and what not. It sucked but I will forever remember that love, the love that my dad could never show my mom. I thank Seth for teaching me I am worth more than what others believe and for making sure I will never end up with someone like my dad.