Step 3: Shinsou's Arrival

Now I know what you're all thinking, and no, it's not like that. My heart didn't stop because I just somehow magically knew he was my fated soul mate, or because I fell in love at first sight, or even because he was amazingly, drop dead gorgeous (though I do have to admit that even then, at first glance, tired as hell and obviously in no mood to impress anyone, I thought him remarkably good looking).

No, my heart stopped for an entirely different reason. It was the kind of chilly freeze that accompanies a mixture of surprise, recognition, terror, and curiosity. And yes, fine. Maybe a little bit of attraction. Just a little bit.

Gah, no! That's besides the point.

There was just something about his nonchalant I-don't-give-a-fuck attitude and his tired, chilling, calculating eyes and his judgmental, apathetic, determined slouch that screamed at me this would be a person to watch out for.

And then he glanced at me with those dark, cool, curious eyes and I froze, swallowing involuntarily. After a second he looked away, and I could breathe again.

"Would you like to say a few words?" Asked Mr. Aizawa.

"Sure." Said the newcomer. Shinsou, I remembered. The ridiculously OP brainwasher. "I don't expect to be let into your class dynamic and I'm not here to make friends. I know I'm way behind all of you in your studies and I have a lot of ground to cover before I earn my spot as your classmate. But I'm here to stay, so you'd better get used to me. I hope we get along." He started forward to take Mineta's empty seat, but paused and added as an afterthought, "And no matter what my quirk is, I'm not a villain."

He took his seat.

~~~

Shinsou fit into our class surprisingly well. He wasn't much of a talker, sure, and he just oozed dark jaded teenager vibes, but well, what teenager doesn't?

For my part, I can proudly say I recovered quite quickly after my initial impression. Not that I talked to him or anything, but my heart behaved normally and I reverted to my usual, bubbly self. I don't think anyone noticed.

As soon as the lunch bell rang Shinsou's desk was surrounded by curious classmates. The first one to garner his attention was Midoriya, who offered him a bright smile and a firm handshake.

"It's great to see you again, Shinsou! I'm really glad you're in our class."

Shinsou tiredly took his hand from his pocket and shook Midoriya's own, giving him a look that could be interpreted as respect and good will. "Thanks. I look forward to our rematch."

Midoriya grinned in the enthusiastic, slightly maniacal way that only he could; with a smile spread from ear to ear and a glint in his emerald eyes. "Definitely. I can't wait!"

Aside from Midoriya, Shinsou didn't really engage with anyone. He'd nod or reply in a monotone voice, but he never carried out a full conversation. Most of us were watching from afar, anyway. Curious, but patient.

I was one of the ones who held back, along with the rest of the Bakusquad. There'd be plenty of chances to talk in future; best not to mob the poor guy.

But to my surprise, I never got the chance to approach him. No, for some inexplicable reason the cold, indifferent, introverted insomniac was the one to approach me first.

Will wonders never cease.

~~~

I'm thinking of posting a parallel story from Shinsou's point of view. Thoughts?

–Laika