Chapter 6: We Can't Help Everyone

Warning! Mention of death, and terminal illness!

____________________

Tippy had now been the Silver Blur for a few weeks. The citizens had grown used to his presence in the city. In fact some people remarked that the Silver Blur had now replaced Harl Hubbs. Of course, Harl was crucial to his success as the Silver Blur, so he thought those claims were quite amusing. Due to his increasing fame, people had asked the Silver Blur to show up in parades, but he respectfully turned them down every time.

And still, this whole time, there'd been no sign of the actual Silver Blur anywhere. When Tippy had first started impersonating the Silver Blur, he'd expected this would be a temporary thing, since the actual Silver Blur seemed unlikely to approve of him. But there was still no sign of him. At this point Tippy thought it was safe to assume that the true Silver Blur was fine with Tippy roaming the city under his name.

Now, being the Silver Blur felt less like a side job and more like an integral part of him, giving true purpose to his life. It allowed him to forget his flaws and failures as he took on the life of someone the city could truly look up to. He could honestly see himself doing this for a long time, so long as his identity remained hidden.

He was now on his way to Harl's junkyard to receive his missions for today. Beforehand, he had some time, so he'd checked if Allen had any new letters, but still nothing. Lately, Allen had been quiet; he hadn't written anything new, and the notes Tippy left out for him piled under his doormat. It was a little odd, but Allen was probably busy and caught up with something. Besides, now that Allen could depend on Wheelie, he had less of a reason to reach out to the Silver Blur. It was a bittersweet thought, but Tippy was just glad Allen had someone he was close to.

Tippy finally approached the counter at Harl's hut. He took off his mask, and smiled at Harl. Normally he would be afraid of Cluster coming and seeing his identity, but the prospector always seemed busy doing his own thing, so he took the risk.

"Hello, Harl. Anything new for me to do?"

Harl dropped his gaze and looked at the floor. "Umm...I don't think so?"

There was an awkward pause. Tippy lowered his voice. "Can you think of anyone who needs my help today?"

Harl was clearly avoiding eye contact. "Ummm, you know...I'm really having trouble thinking of anyone who needs help. I guess the city is doing ok today."

Harl was acting awfully unusual. His forehead was dotted with sweat, and his voice shook. Something wasn't right. There was always something that had to be done.

"Harl, is everything alright?"

He forced a smile. "Mhhhm. Everything's good. You know, maybe you can go home and take the day off. You earned it!"

Tippy softened his expression. "A day hasn't gone by without someone needing our help. Please, if people need something then tell me. It doesn't matter how small of a request it is."

"It's just... I don't think you can help this time."

"What are you talking about? What's going on?" Tippy pressed.

"I-I don't want to tell you. I don't want you to be burdened with the knowledge of someone in need, when you're not able to help them. Trust me, as a helpful handyman, it's painful."

Tippy shook his head. "No one should be seen as a lost cause. You helped me change my mind way back when, even though it probably seemed hopeless. I thought nothing could get in the way of my Paradoors plan, but now look where I am. I'm here, making a difference, because you never gave up on me. Even if this truly seems like a hopeless case, I will do everything in my power to help."