Prologue

Noelle's POV

11 years ago...

He always said he would come back. I never thought that would be the last time I seen him. One of my closest friends-my best friend, leaving me.

I was in my sophomore year of high school, and he was in his junior year. We looked out for each other- more like him looking out for me. It still doesn't change the fact that he was really the only true friend I had.

"I'm going to miss you" I said.

"I really wish I could stay Elle" Ethan said as we hugged each other.

"You know, I could always keep you in the basement, and no one would ever know" I said as tears brim my eyes. He let out a chuckle, while we still held onto each other, like our lives depended on it.

"Trust me, they would know. I'll come back and visit. Cali isn't that far, and you can call me whenever you want, I'll always pick for you" he said as tears streamed down my face, and into his shoulder.

I guess we both thought wrong.

"Elle stop crying" he tried to say without his voice cracking, while wiping my tears. I could see the tears forming in his eyes too.

"You know, I'm only crying, because I don't have many friends, and we've never been separated since grade school right? You're not that special bud" I said jokingly making us both laugh.

"Then why are you crying?"

"Shut up"

"You can talk to Rachel, she's cool" he said.

"She's 'cool', because you've always had a crush on the bitch. I never liked her" I said while looking at him like the idiot he is.

"Yea. We're not having this conversation again, it always kills me" he said.

"That's because you like roaches. I'm not surprised tho" I said pulling away from our hug.

We gave each other one last hug, before his mom, Mary, called him to the car to leave.

"I love you, jingle bell" he said before getting into the car, making me laugh.

"I love you too Liam" I said smiling mischievously. He hates his middle name. He looked at me like I just called him the foulest name in the book, before waving bye.

That day I watched my childhood best friend leave. When he left it felt like I lost my other half, nothing was the same without him.

We called almost everyday, when his family got settled into his new home in California. The calls lasted about two months before things started to slowly change. It took about a year for things to change completely. He had new friends, a girlfriend, and what seems like a new life. I was happy for him, he deserved it.

I just wasn't use to our friendship being like this. I stopped calling him first after a while, and let him call first- although I would still check on him through text.

He eventually stopped calling and responding to my messages. The only way I knew he was ok was from my mom, because her and Mary are also best friends. It took time to move on, but I made friends and continued on with my life. I just never thought that would happen...

I never thought, that I would lose my best friend.