Chapter 46

“DO YOU HAVE ANY idea where he might go?” Detective Ross asked me. We were at the police station, and they were filing the report and taking my statement.

“You mean Hank, or Glen? No idea,” I said. “But once you find him, there’ll be enough evidence on him to put him away for a long time. You should find more in that creepy basement. I know I made him bleed when I hit him. And I think he lost a tooth.”

Detective Ross nodded and jotted the note down.

I was ready to be done. My nerves were raw and the fluorescent lights made my eyes hurt.

Taking another sip of water, I pulled the blanket they’d given me closer around my shoulders. At least they’d given me a comfy office chair instead of one of those crappy plastic chairs they usually offered.

We were in Detective Monroe’s office, and had been there for the last hour as I’d relayed my story.

“Anything else you want to tell us?” Detective Ross asked. His face stilled. He’d been looking at me all night as if I was hiding something, but I wasn’t. Except for the fact that I’d gone into the house ready to shoot Williams.

“Just that ... just that I’m thankful you—” I looked at Monroe, “—told me to go see Solomon and learn how to use a gun.”

I suddenly wished I could tell Solomon about all of this. Wished it so badly it surprised me. I’d just met him, but already he seemed like a significant part of my life. Or ... he might be, one day.

Monroe nodded. “It worked out, didn’t it?” Ross frowned, but turned away.

“Can I go home now?” I asked in a tired voice.

“Yes.” Ross stacked his papers. “I think you can. If we need anything else, we’ll call you. And we know where to find you.”

Even though it came from a policeman, the words were disconcerting. I wish it wasn’t so easy to find me. I stood up to go and when I got to the door, something came to me. I looked at my hand—the numbers were still there from when I’d written Hannah’s license plate down.

I should tell the police, tell them I thought Hannah was involved, and that she might lead them to Hank.

“Yes?” Monroe asked, noticing I was still there.

I closed my mouth, thinking hard. In an instant, a plan filled my head, so big and fleshed out it must’ve been there all along.

“Nothing,” I said with a weak smile. “Have a good night, gentlemen.”

And then I walked down the hall, away from all the desks and paperwork and laws. It was time to venture out on my own. I’d seen what the law had done to Hank the last time they’d tried him. I couldn’t trust it again.

He’d broken me. I was about as low as anyone could be.

But now I was rising, a new person. And he was going to have to deal with a Sarah Steele he’d never seen before.