A Grand Sacrifice

"Grandmother, what is this about," little Adelaid asked, holding up a painted photo containing a golden dragon that lay slain next to a familiar young man.

"My goodness child, where did you find this," I questioned. It had been ages since I’d seen my sentimental painting.

"I found it in the attic. What’s the story behind it?"

I smiled while gathering memories of that historic event.

~~~

"My beautiful bride," a soft voice sounded behind me.

"Bride? It’s been two years,” I laughed.

"On this day, exactly two years ago, you took me to be your husband.”

I nodded. We were interrupted then by an escalating chaos outside. A confused look passed between us before Alexander left me to investigate. Moments later he ran back through the door and grabbed his sword that was mounted on the wall.

I ran to him wide eyed. "What is it? Where are you going," I asked, fear gripping at me.

"Marigold, I need you to listen. Pack a small bag of rations and anything you may need. Keep it light. Then run as fast as you can my dearest. Don’t stop for anything. Take shelter in the neighboring towns, but get as far away from here as you can."

"But Alexander," I interrupted.

"What’s going on?" Tears of panic began blinding me, but I forced them away trying to be brave.

"It’s Covid-19. A large group had gathered for a celebration of some sort, and he found us. Now run," he insisted. "I will find you when this is all over."

As he started for the door I prayed for his good fortune. We shared a brief kiss before parting. Then I ran.

~~~

"Covid-19?"

I smiled down at Adelaide. How lucky she was to never have encountered the devastating plague. "Covidicous the 19th, or Covid-19, was a dragon who fed on the souls of the innocent. He would relentlessly attack villages and larger groups, devouring them in seconds."

The girl’s eyes grew large and fearful. "What happened to him?"

"Since there was no killing him directly, we starved him. An ingenious plan, though it wasn’t easy. By living in complete isolation with only a small group of five or six, we managed to keep hidden. Covid-19 couldn’t find us, and thus starved."

"What about Alexander," she asked excitedly.

I felt my smile falter. "Well," I began. "I reached the neighboring village and waited, as he had told me. Weeks passed with no sign of him. He never came."

Silence grew like a thick cloud between them. Understanding and grief settled upon Adelaid. "I’m so sorry."

"Don’t be," I said, trying to reassure her despite the tears that threatened to fall. "Soon after running, I discovered I was with-child. Though I desired to travel back for him, I could not endanger my child."

At that, Adelaid leapt up and wrapped her arms around my neck. "Thank you," she whispered. "For sacrificing all that for us."